Child's birthday party etiquette

Family life in Finland from kindergartens, child education, language schooling and everyday life. Share information and experiences. Network with other families.
booktraveller2

Post by booktraveller2 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:34 am

Greetings!

Our elementary-school aged child has been invited to a birthday party this weekend, and he is so excited :). This is our first experience with a child's birthday party in Finland, and we realize we have a few questions:

- What type of gift is appropriate? We don't want to bring too little or too much, and we have no idea what is typical/expected here.
- Do parents typically stay with their children, or drop them off and come back?

Anything else that we might need to know?

Thanks so much in advance for any info you can share with us!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

tuttu

Re: Child's birthday party etiquette

Post by tuttu » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:05 am

booktraveller2 wrote:- What type of gift is appropriate? We don't want to bring too little or too much, and we have no idea what is typical/expected here.
- Do parents typically stay with their children, or drop them off and come back?
i'd say more than 10e's worth, but less than 50. a toy or a book, not food.
drop them off and come back. depending on the situation, a chat with other parents? but i'm pretty sure your presence is not expected, unless hinted at.
clothing? your kids favorite (monster/fairy) t-shirt, but new and clean. nothing formal.

all this is just friendly advice off the top of my head, don't quote me on this.
also i'm thinking of a "normal" capital region elementary school: financially mixed backgrounds, to some extent also culturally.

booktraveller2

Post by booktraveller2 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:37 am

Thank you! This is helpful.

tuttu

Post by tuttu » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:03 am

actually i just remembered talking with some parents about birthday parties in HopLop or SnadiStadi. There they had an "adult corner" and if i remember correctly that parent actually stayed there with some other parents.
but as i said, you will see what the situation is.
about the present and the clothing, why not let your kid have a say in it?

enjoy the party!

Rip

Post by Rip » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:32 am

10-15€ has been the price range we (and as far as I can tell, others in the neighborhood as well) have used (ages 4-7) . A few times perhaps slightly above when we could not find anything reasonable within range. I've actually often asked if there are any specific wishes gifts. I've got recommendation I've tried to stick to it (this time you're bit late for that). You child could have a perfectly good suggestion what birthday hero likes.

Earlier (if the party was not arranged outdoors or in some activity park or something like that) our girl often like to put a dress. I expect those get less popular with age. If not explicitly stated otherwise, you'd drop your child off and pick then afterwards.

booktraveller2

Post by booktraveller2 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:11 pm

Thanks for all of your posts! I really appreciate the advice. Now we have a better idea of a rough price range for gifts - my son has some nice ideas for his friend, but we weren't sure what price range was typical and didn't want to go too under or over.

I will take him to the party and observe what the other parents are doing in terms of drop-off/staying.

I know that he will have a great time, and he is super-excited to go :).

Thanks again!

rinso

Post by rinso » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:28 pm

- What type of gift is appropriate? We don't want to bring too little or too much, and we have no idea what is typical/expected here.
I've noticed a lot of "candy" gifts. (maybe for 10+ yo) But € 15,- worth of candy is not a good idea. :twisted: