Maternity allowance

Family life in Finland from kindergartens, child education, language schooling and everyday life. Share information and experiences. Network with other families.
evedreams

Maternity allowance

Post by evedreams » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:58 pm

Hi,

I have a question on maternity allowance. I came to Finland in February 2014 after getting married. My husband lived in Finland for the last 8 years and hence I joined him here. I started working from January 2015 and am now pregnant with our first child. I have a residence permit type A here which is valid for 4 years and my husband has permanent residence. I will start my maternity leave towards the end of October and was wondering how my maternity allowance will be calculated.

When I calculate the amount in the calculator given by Kela I get varying amounts.. I am really confused. Please help. Will the last 6 months of employment be taken into consideration because in the calculator it asks me the last 6 months salary details.

Maternity allowance

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: Maternity allowance

Post by betelgeuse » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:30 pm

evedreams wrote: I have a question on maternity allowance. I came to Finland in February 2014 after getting married. My husband lived in Finland for the last 8 years and hence I joined him here. I started working from January 2015 and am now pregnant with our first child. I have a residence permit type A here which is valid for 4 years and my husband has permanent residence. I will start my maternity leave towards the end of October and was wondering how my maternity allowance will be calculated.

When I calculate the amount in the calculator given by Kela I get varying amounts.. I am really confused. Please help. Will the last 6 months of employment be taken into consideration because in the calculator it asks me the last 6 months salary details.
What do you mean you get varying amounts? You mean you input the same numbers and the number varies? This would be really odd but I don't think the Kela calculator is indeterminate.

http://www.kela.fi/web/en/maternity-allowance_amount

I guess the answer you are looking is this: "according to the earnings for the 6 months preceding the allowance period if your earnings have increased by at least 20% from your taxed earnings."