6 and half year old girl to enter the school....??

Family life in Finland from kindergartens, child education, language schooling and everyday life. Share information and experiences. Network with other families.
december74

Post by december74 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:45 am

Hello all.
We came to Finland last year(at the end of August) due to the procedure what it takes to enter a daycare in Finland my girls started their
day care just in late October.
My oldest girl turns to 6 in this Jan. and she will have to enter the elementary school next year which will make my girl turn to 7 and half years old due to turku.fi.
But except the language skills she is already ready to learn something because she always complains about how boring at the day care(it was my mistake that I didn't check for the preschool course when I apply for the day care which I will do asap.
When the elementary school starts in Aug I think my girl can even go to the elementary school this year.
I read it also from turku.fi and it says if the psychological and medical reports, they can go to school one year earlier. (I thik my girl need this!!)
Has anyone gone trough this? any information about psychological report for my girl(they said it should private one)??
Please help my girl~~~ thanks ahead..

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Rosamunda

Re: 6 and half year old girl to enter the school....??

Post by Rosamunda » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:23 am

So are you putting your child into Finnish primary school? Does she speak Finnish already?
If she does not speak Finnish fluently then daycare is probably the best place for her to hone her language skills before starting school.

Sometimes English immersion or bilingual schools will take younger children but only if they have places (7 yr olds will always have priority). The application date for grade one is usually advertised in the local newspapers or online and if I remember correctly it is in Jan/Feb. So you can enrol your daughter now and see what happens.

The best person to ask is the rehtori of the school where you would like your daughter to go.

Flossy1978

Post by Flossy1978 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:15 pm

Is it only a new thing for Eskari to be compulsary? As in the last 3 odd years recent? Because none of my friend's five kids in Nurmijärvi went to Eskari. They didn't have to go. It wasn't compulsary. They all went into grade one, with the excceptio of one child who needed to be in a special behavioural class. :?

leisl

Post by leisl » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:21 pm

I thought it was an entitlement, all 6yo have a place. But not compulsory. Maybe they changed it to compulsory last year.

How can a kid be bored if they don't understand anything going on. Sounds more like, she doesn't fit in with the other kids. Starting school, how does it solve this if she doesn't speak Finnish. Maybe you should ask the staff. Does she interact with the other children. And does she understand them. And does she speak Finnish there. Maybe she does.

Rip

Post by Rip » Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:27 am

Flossy1978 wrote:Is it only a new thing for Eskari to be compulsary? As in the last 3 odd years recent?
Currently it's probably the second school year that its compulsory.

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:20 pm

Flossy1978 wrote:Is it only a new thing for Eskari to be compulsary? As in the last 3 odd years recent? Because none of my friend's five kids in Nurmijärvi went to Eskari. They didn't have to go. It wasn't compulsary. They all went into grade one, with the excceptio of one child who needed to be in a special behavioural class. :?
Compulsory since 1.8.2015.
edit. 1 -> 8... and I tried to type 1 even after first correction...
source: http://www.minedu.fi/OPM/Verkkouutiset/ ... petus.html
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.