international baccalaureate exam prep

Family life in Finland from kindergartens, child education, language schooling and everyday life. Share information and experiences. Network with other families.
Vallu98

Post by Vallu98 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:13 am

Dear all,
Could anyone advise me how to prepare a kid for the IB entrance exam. Sure, to study hard during the 9 previous years :) But on top of that it is also very useful to get to know what kind of tasks to expect and elaborate a test-taking strategies. There are plenty of books on TOEFL, GMAT,SAT etc. I was just wondering if there something similar for IB.
It would also be great priceless if someone could share the actual exam experiences. Thank you.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Rosamunda

Re: international baccalaureate exam prep

Post by Rosamunda » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:08 am

The IB entrance exam is a Finnish invention. Each IB school in Finland sets its own exam - at least that is how it used to be. The weighting of the entrance exam versus previous grades also varies between schools. I always found the selection criteria for IB to be rather opaque. When my eldest applied the students had to be "invited" to take the exam so there was some kind of pre-selection before the exam itself. We complained to the school but just hit a brick wall. But that was a few years ago.

Good Luck.

So.. find a university student who went to the IB school that you are applying to.

Vallu98

Re: international baccalaureate exam prep

Post by Vallu98 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:14 am

Interesting…At the information session I've learned that there are 3 exams, 45min each: äidinkieli or S2, English and Math with weights 3, 3 and 4 respectively. It is added to the GPA. The threshold is about 14-15 that is in my view not very high if one has GPA @9. There are about 180 applicants for 35 places. Hopefully the subjective judgement is minimized.