International neighborhood

Family life in Finland from kindergartens, child education, language schooling and everyday life. Share information and experiences. Network with other families.
smundoag

Post by smundoag » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:51 pm

Hi,
I am wondering whether it is any international neighborhood where families from abroad tend to live.
I mean some place close to Helsinki surrounded with International schools/kindergartens and so...a neighborhood where it would be easy for my family to meet English speaking people as well as my children to grow in an English speaking atmosphere.

I am leaving in Vantaa at this moment but It doesn't meet my needs at all...so thinking about moving to Töölö or Espo where I have seen many English kindergartens....

Any suggestion, thought or recommendation is welcome!

BR

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Rip

Re: International neighborhood

Post by Rip » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:35 pm

There isn't. The most common foreign (not Finnish or Swedish) mother tongues spoken in Helsinki are Russian and Estonian. English is only fourth on the list between Somali and Arabic (and probably bound to drop). As many in the top foreigner groups live in communal housing there are is a, not always but most of the time valid correlation that better neighborhoods have smaller number of foreigners. Consequently the better off foreigners also rather often tend to live in areas were there aren't that many foreigners.

Etu-Töölö (Southern Töölö) is actually one of the few areas where the English speakers are listed as the largest foreign language group on the page linked here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=91611&p=556888#p556826
There they make a whopping 1% of the total. For the great majority locals with small kids Etu-Töölö would not be in consideration for living with kids, although at the top of list of reasons would be simply the local cost of an apartment somehow fitting a family.

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:38 pm

In Espoo there is Suurpelto. The new international school opened there last year and there are a lot of English-speaking daycare places in the area (Olari etc). I have no idea whether there are many English-speaking families actually living in the immediate area...

smundoag

Post by smundoag » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:46 pm

Thanks for your comments. I thought it woul be many residential areas from foreigners working in internationql companies. I believe there are many expats in south of Finland...somehow they are in the same situation and it could be good to meet each other commonly.

Thanks

chickensexer

Post by chickensexer » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:57 am

Neither the sheer numbers of those expats numbers nor their wish for gravitating towards each other are enough to go as far as forming neighborhoods. Yes, there are "national tables" during lunch time in cantines of such companies, and those people meet once in a while outside work, too. But still very far from redidential clustering.