Return Expats and Family

Family life in Finland from kindergartens, child education, language schooling and everyday life. Share information and experiences. Network with other families.
stadinslangi

Return Expats and Family

Post by stadinslangi » Wed May 18, 2016 7:13 am

Dear all,

I was asked by a Finnish family abroad about employment and benefit for returning expat and family. I have to admit that I am short of knowledge about it but I guess they are a bit shy from asking such question in public or running between different offices, which they do not feel belong to. So, the amazing FFF, hope you can help me with this.

The situation is: the family is Finnish family with both have Finnish citizen, one natural Finn another converted to Finnish citizenship. So the one who asked me to help was the party who is converted. Now after couple of years living abroad, they are returning. He/She had quitted job from Finland when moved abroad, so now it is on "unemployed" status. Though the person had attended Finnish university and worked in Finnish companies in the past, now situation changed and she/he are not sure if can get job immediately. So basic living is the concern.

I suggested to learn Finnish language first, just like a fresh off boat. But situation is he/she had already passed YK-III with high mark (good part) long time ago, however, along the time, most of knowledge got vanished and there is no way to keep conversation (bad part). With the later remarks, I can not comment. I do not speak Finnish fluently myself.

As I know, the person has not any benefit at the moment as they registered to be abroad, but registered as within KELA service. There is such option in KELA system.
So, what will be the best thing to do and what would be the process to follow once they arrive in Finland? What benefit they are entitled to? Especially for the converted Finn, how to get language service and unemployment benefit? What other benefit they can think of?

You might be wondering why the Finnish adult member of family can not find all information easily? Well, the returning expat mission is new for all of us and let’s try to help, not to judge.

Thanks!

Return Expats and Family

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: Return Expats and Family

Post by betelgeuse » Wed May 18, 2016 10:08 am

stadinslangi wrote: As I know, the person has not any benefit at the moment as they registered to be abroad, but registered as within KELA service. There is such option in KELA system.
So, what will be the best thing to do and what would be the process to follow once they arrive in Finland? What benefit they are entitled to? Especially for the converted Finn, how to get language service and unemployment benefit? What other benefit they can think of?
They are like any other unemployed Finns who are not eligible for earnings related unemployment benefits. They will sign up with TE-office and apply from Kela. If they are without assets, they will also apply from the local social security office for income support. Language courses are at the consideration of TE-office. Kela and TE-office have good web pages in English so there's no reason to answer your quite broad questions in detail here.
stadinslangi wrote: You might be wondering why the Finnish adult member of family can not find all information easily? Well, the returning expat mission is new for all of us and let’s try to help, not to judge.
I don't understand the new comment. Returning to Finland happens regularly and there's nothing particularly special about it.
Last edited by betelgeuse on Wed May 18, 2016 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

stadinslangi

Post by stadinslangi » Wed May 18, 2016 11:00 am

I don't understand the new comment. Returning to Finland happens regularly and there's nothing particularly special about it.
OK, good to know there are many experience already. Could you advice?

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Wed May 18, 2016 11:12 am

stadinslangi wrote:

OK, good to know there are many experience already. Could you advice?
Quoting was off in my post. I fixed it. There's some info there.

stadinslangi

Post by stadinslangi » Wed May 18, 2016 12:59 pm

Thanks Betelgeuse

A bit too simple but anyway I asked them to check TE office. A quick reply is they are not eligible for Finnish language learning any more by TE and cannot engaged in any training or schooling for more than 8 (??) hours a week, which I wonder why.

Any other benefit they can apply for except the basic KELA coverage. They surely have some assets like house or so in Finland.

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Wed May 18, 2016 2:21 pm

Well, once they "move back" and get themselves back under the KELA umbrella, there is the "tyomarkkinatuki" i.e. "KELA base" as they aren't eligible for unemploment benefits ( as they haven't been working). Now for Finnish citizens you really don't get much as in "integration" as you're a Finn, innit. Obviously all the other benefits there, lapsilisa etc. that everyone is entitled to is available, but the TE keskus is these days beyond useless than before.
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

inkku

Post by inkku » Wed May 18, 2016 5:27 pm

I have returned twice to Finland, if you have any specific questions. However, i did not return for looking for social benefits so cannot help you in that sense. Kela has a fantastic website where you can look for different benefits based on your situation. http://www.kela.fi/muutto-suomeen

If they are moving from a EU country, they can retain their unemployment benefits from the other country for three months iirc.