EXCHANGE STUDENT FROM FINLAND

Family life in Finland from kindergartens, child education, language schooling and everyday life. Share information and experiences. Network with other families.
RED2

Post by RED2 » Tue May 24, 2016 8:02 am

My family will soon be hosting an exchange student from Finland. Can anyone suggest anything that would make her feel more at home here in Australia?
Also I would like to learn some simple words and phrases.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

interleukin

Re: EXCHANGE STUDENT FROM FINLAND

Post by interleukin » Tue May 24, 2016 10:31 am

I second what roger_roger wrote, the last thing she wants when first arriving is something from home (you will never be able to exactly mimic her favourite things anyway). Everything will be new and amazing and her brain will be full every evening. In a few months, when things go into routine, she might get homesick. Then her family sends her something from home and all is well again (hopefully). Your role is just to be yourselves and to be totally different from how things are at home.
Source of opinion: Me, a former exchange student.

RED2

Post by RED2 » Thu May 26, 2016 9:27 am

Thanks for your reply, I realise that she is interested in our culture, but just trying to pre-empt any homesickness which I know she will feel at some point.

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Thu May 26, 2016 8:55 pm

Oh, make sure you give her "the talk" about "things every 5-year-old Australian knows" like spiders and snakes and such. Like not doing stupid things that she would do without thinking in Finland like putting your wellies on when they've sat in the garage without knocking them about first, kinda stuff... Or that if its hot you close the windows... Or that you need sunblock on cloudy weather too...
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."