Extra Maths books for Grade 1

Family life in Finland from kindergartens, child education, language schooling and everyday life. Share information and experiences. Network with other families.
Mrs Adnan

Post by Mrs Adnan » Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:58 am

Hello everyone!

This is my first post here. I have benefited a lot from this forum and I hope I will be able to get an answer for my query :)
My daughter is going to Turku International school.
For Mathematics, they did 2 books this year.

But apparently, some kids got EXTRA books as well from the teachers.
Now I am a bit confused about this one. What is the criteria for getting extra books? One of the kids completed 5 maths books this year. How is that possible?
Did the child keep doing the exercises on her own? What about the exercises done at class then if she has already done that?
The home work notification we receive from teacher, that explains that we have done this chapter today and so and so is for homework, so what about the child with 5 maths books? As my understanding is that the child has completed those exercises already.

My daughter always wanted to do more exercises on her own as well but I did not let her as I thought she should keep up with her class mates, but if kids are allowed to, I should let her.

Thanks in advance and I hope my query is clear :)
Regards

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Rosamunda

Re: Extra Maths books for Grade 1

Post by Rosamunda » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:35 pm

I don't know about maths, but in Grade 1 (when my kids were there) a lot of the reading materials were self-paced. There was a series called the Oxford Reading Tree (or something like that) and the children went through the series at their own speed. Some children enter school unable to read and others are already fairly fluent readers, so it makes sense that each follows his/her own path.

Maybe the maths books work in a similar way. Obviously children who don't read English fluently cannot work independently on maths (ie they can't read/understand the instructions in the books). But I would have thought that most of the work in maths would be done in groups or with the whole class. Plodding through books doesn't sound like much fun... A lot of the primary schools in Finland are starting to use tablets and laptops for primary years maths now - again this is to enable differentiated and self-paced learning (same as books but more fun and more tactile).

I suggest you ask the teacher, or some of the other parents who have older children in the same school. I don't think anyone on here can answer your question unless they too have children in the same class as your daughter. If Turku International School has PYP status, you might be able to find more information by looking on the IB World Schools websites. https://global.oup.com/education/conten ... ernational

If your daughter enjoys maths, then for sure you could encourage her by letting her play with maths apps on a computer or finding her some numeracy games. I wouldn't worry too much about the books though.

adam7

Post by adam7 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:17 am

Mrs Adnan wrote:Hello everyone!

This is my first post here. I have benefited a lot from this forum and I hope I will be able to get an answer for my query :)
My daughter is going to Turku International school.
For Mathematics, they did 2 books this year.

But apparently, some kids got EXTRA books as well from the teachers.
Now I am a bit confused about this one. What is the criteria for getting extra books? One of the kids completed 5 maths books this year. How is that possible?
Did the child keep doing the exercises on her own? What about the exercises done at class then if she has already done that?
The home work notification we receive from teacher, that explains that we have done this chapter today and so and so is for homework, so what about the child with 5 maths books? As my understanding is that the child has completed those exercises already.

My daughter always wanted to do more exercises on her own as well but I did not let her as I thought she should keep up with her class mates, but if kids are allowed to, I should let her.

Thanks in advance and I hope my query is clear :)
Regards
My math teacher who was a pretty grim guy always said "You don't learn math at school, you learn it at home" (meaning working at home solving math problems).

However, please contact your kid's math teacher for any questions about books, materials or other issues concerning your kids. Remember that Finland is a society where the confidence in professionals is high, meaning it works both ways. Parents discuss with teachers and vice versa. Generally they won't antagonize you. On the contrary they will be glad for your involvement. Remember that you shouldn't do it in the evening, but call the school to ask when the teacher can be contacted.

The teacher will likely be able to answer all your questions. Internet won't :wink:

Mrs Adnan

Post by Mrs Adnan » Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:25 am

adam7 wrote:
My math teacher who was a pretty grim guy always said "You don't learn math at school, you learn it at home" (meaning working at home solving math problems).

However, please contact your kid's math teacher for any questions about books, materials or other issues concerning your kids. Remember that Finland is a society where the confidence in professionals is high, meaning it works both ways. Parents discuss with teachers and vice versa. Generally they won't antagonize you. On the contrary they will be glad for your involvement. Remember that you shouldn't do it in the evening, but call the school to ask when the teacher can be contacted.

The teacher will likely be able to answer all your questions. Internet won't :wink:
Thank you so much for your response and I appreciate your honest advice :)
You are right! I should be asking the teacher :) I was only concerned, since I am not much familiar with the Finnish culture, that the teacher may get offended (I hope this is the right word lol ), that I am comparing my kid to another? Which I am not btw :) Just wanted to know how it works and if I can help my daughter regarding that.

Also, since it is summer holidays already, so I was also thinking if I should bother the teacher or not. Usually we communicate via messages/emails on Wilma :)

I will contact teacher!
Thanks again adam7 and Rosamunda :)