English school VS Bilingual school graduates in University

Family life in Finland from kindergartens, child education, language schooling and everyday life. Share information and experiences. Network with other families.
stadinslangi

Post by stadinslangi » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:59 am

I have heard that students who graduated from Bilingual school (high school) will not be able to include Finnish into their foreign language learnings in university in US or UK, is that true?
I am still trying to figure out the benefit of putting a multi-cultural kids to bilingual school here.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Rosamunda

Re: English school VS Bilingual school graduates in Universi

Post by Rosamunda » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:06 am

What do you mean by "bilingual high school"? High schools in Finland offer the Finnish matriculation exam which can be taken in Finnish OR Swedish. It is not possible to take the Finnish matriculation exam in English, but English can be included as a foreign language.

Or, do you mean schools like SYK, Ressu, Etelä Tapiola, Mattliden which offer the World Schools IB Diploma? If so, I don't think there are any problems when applying to university in the UK as all the points are counted. It is not necessary to take Finnish at IB diploma level and it is not a "bilingual" curriculum since everything is taught in English.

Some UK universities won't make conditional offers, they like to see the grades before offering a place, which might mean taking a gap year (eg military service) before making an application.

No idea about the USA.

stadinslangi

Post by stadinslangi » Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:34 pm

Thanks, Rosamund!

by "Bilingual" I mean Finnish and English bilingual school in Espoo and Helsinki. I mean if the students already have Finnish as their high school instruction language, would it be possible for them to choose Finnish as A-level program (I do not know if there is such).

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:06 am

Which lukio in Espoo are you referring to?
For the Finnish matriculation exam if Finnish is the mother tongue language then the 'A' language is usually English but it could be French, German, Swedish etc. But you can't take Finnish as the mother tongue and the A language.