Seeking Families to Interview about Paid Family Leave

Family life in Finland from kindergartens, child education, language schooling and everyday life. Share information and experiences. Network with other families.
Caustic129

Post by Caustic129 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:57 pm

Hey all!
My name is Ashley and I am a student, artist, and mother based in Portland, Oregon, USA. I am currently working on a research project that addresses the issue regarding the lack of paid family leave in the United States, the only industrialized country on the planet that does not offer this resource.
I will be in Helsinki from September 8-12 and would love the opportunity to meet with a few families to discuss how having universal paid family leave in Finland has affected their lives as parents. The interview would be no longer than 30 minutes and I will gladly meet you wherever is convenient(and buy you coffee/lunch!). I would also love the chance to take portraits of participants with their family to be displayed at a workshop and art show we are holding at Portland State University in the fall.
If you are interesting in participating, please feel free to email me at [email protected]. look forward to learning more about Finland's family leave policies and hope this project can help to push for PFML in the U.S.!
Thank you!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Rosamunda

Re: Seeking Families to Interview about Paid Family Leave

Post by Rosamunda » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:46 pm

Could you define exactly what you mean by "paid family leave" as it is not terminology that is in use here?

Are you referring to annual paid leave (usually 5 weeks vacation) or some kind of maternity / paternity leave (a few months on the birth of a child) or parental leave for caring for small children (usually until they are three years old)? Or something else?

Caustic129

Post by Caustic129 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:20 am

Great question Rosamunda and sorry for the confusion.

I am referring to both paid maternal/paternal leave after the birth of a child as well as parental leave to care for a small child.
In the U.S., we are allowed only 12 weeks of UNPAID leave after the birth of a child on a federal level. Although a very small portion of people may have partial paid family leave through their work, Most families must pay out of their own pockets if they would like to stay home with their newborn/small child. This has the largest impact on poor and working class families, with people returning to work within days of giving birth or being forced to go into debt in order to spend time with their newborn child.
So for this project, we are trying to share the stories of people in other countries who have these benefits and its impact on their family. You would be surprised with how many parents I have talked to in the U.S. about the benefits received around the world for families after childbirth, many think I am making it up! So it is my hope that sharing these stories could help in leading to some policy change on a state and federal level in the U.S.

(I apologize for any typos, I have to access the Internet from my phone while my computer is being fixed)

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:47 pm

Thanks for the clarification.

My three boys were all born in France. I was working full-time for a computer company but got the statutory 10 (before) +16 (after) weeks maternity leave (mostly State funded but topped up by the employer - an American company!) I also took part-time parental leave after the third one was born meaning I could keep my job with a 16-hour week until he was 3 years old. I was in my late 30s when we had our kids.

My children are now students (20-22-24) so maybe not the kind of family you are looking for. I'd love to meet and chat with you, but I will be in the UK that week in September! Would be happy to Skype though, if you are interested in an 'older' mum's perspective.

I hope you find some parents willing to share their experiences. Interestingly, just as Americans can't believe the benefits that we enjoy in Europe, so many Europeans take for granted the social support they get from the govt. It could easily be eroded away by changes in govt policy if we become indifferent ot complacent about it.