Baby gift etiquette

Family life in Finland from kindergartens, child education, language schooling and everyday life. Share information and experiences. Network with other families.
Lynnes

Baby gift etiquette

Post by Lynnes » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:20 pm

Hi, hope somebody can advise on this, our neighbour is expecting her first baby due at the end of December, I wanted to give her a small gift before the baby is born, is this ok to do from a tradition/superstition point of view? I only ask because in our native UK it is fine, also acceptable where we lived in Australia and but considered bad luck where we lived in Shanghai. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Baby gift etiquette

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Flossy1978

Re: Baby gift etiquette

Post by Flossy1978 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:45 am

It's fine to do it :) Maybe wait till the baby is near being born, or even after being born.

Usually there is no party for women having a baby here. You usually celebrate the birth when the child is baptised. Or at a naming party, if not being baptised.

But there is normally a male party for the men. Yeah, really. They do not give birth etc, yet they get to have a celebration. Go out and have a drink and celebrate :lol:

wolf80

Post by wolf80 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:17 pm

Flossy1978 wrote:Usually there is no party for women having a baby here. You usually celebrate the birth when the child is baptised. Or at a naming party, if not being baptised.
I would disagree here, I know many Finnish girls in my spouse's family and their friends who had a baby shower, including cake and gifts.

But if you don't know her that well I would also rather give her a gift when the baby is born.

Flossy1978

Post by Flossy1978 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:32 pm

Then that is a new "American" thing. The baby shower.