Cultural shock for 4-year-old girl

Family life in Finland from kindergartens, child education, language schooling and everyday life. Share information and experiences. Network with other families.
vla

Post by vla » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:48 am

Hi!

I am moving to Finland in a few weeks, and my family (wife and two daughters) will move in april.

Once I have an apartment I will look for a day care center nearby. My biggest concern about the whole move to Finland is how would my oldest daughter (4yo) adapt to this change. I want her to enter a finnish-speaking day care center (not an international one) but I am worried how that would work at the beginning. She speaks spanish as mother language so probably there won't be anyone who can give her instructions in spanish or even understand what she may ask.

I know kids are very flexible and learn really fast, but still I am worried.

Any advice on this would be really appreciated. We are moving to Vantaa by the way.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Muham

Re: Cultural shock for 4-year-old girl

Post by Muham » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:21 pm

I have the same concern,
My daughter is 3 years old and I have decided to send her to a Finnish daycare.
How fast can she learn Finnish and integrate to Finnish children?

vla

Post by vla » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:23 am

Muham wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:21 pm
I have the same concern,
My daughter is 3 years old and I have decided to send her to a Finnish daycare.
How fast can she learn Finnish and integrate to Finnish children?
What is her mother language?

deepsudeep

Post by deepsudeep » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:32 am

Sorry but putting her in a Finnish language day care sounds crazy to me. Yes they learn fast but she needs to be comfortable first.

vla

Post by vla » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:53 am

deepsudeep wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:32 am
Sorry but putting her in a Finnish language day care sounds crazy to me. Yes they learn fast but she needs to be comfortable first.
So your suggestion would be to put her in a spanish one and then after a while move her to a finnish one? I don't like the idea of moving her to a new center in the middle of the process.

There should be a few in Helsinki but I think there is none in my city.

rinso

Post by rinso » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:16 am

deepsudeep wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:32 am
To be over protective doesn't help the child. Foreign language daycare is only sensible if you stay for a very short period (1 - 2 years). Otherwise he/she will have problems in communicating with others. And he/she will lack behind in future education.
From my own experience I know that children will adept quickly and suffer no ill effects from completely immersing in a foreign language. On the contrary I would say.