transporting human remains

Family life in Finland from kindergartens, child education, language schooling and everyday life. Share information and experiences. Network with other families.
deldel

Post by deldel » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:47 pm

Hello everybody,

is there anybody with the knowledge or experience of sending the remains a relative or a friend to Africa? East Africa in particular? i you could inform me the process and the cost in general. i know it would be different based on the destination but to get the general idea.

thank you

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

SecretCode

Re: transporting human remains

Post by SecretCode » Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:12 am

I had to get remains shipped from South Africa to the UK. It seems not to be a very common thing, but the processes are there.

You will probably need to find an export shipping company in Finland, sign a lot of paperwork, and either separately arrange an import and courier company in the destination country, or do what I did which was to go the cargo terminal at London Heathrow and confuse them by not having a courier company identification. Depending on the particular country I wouldn't be surprised if some bribes would be needed...

I don't know the costs as they were paid by my brother-in-law out of the estate.