Residence Permit for a new born in Finland

Family life in Finland from kindergartens, child education, language schooling and everyday life. Share information and experiences. Network with other families.
s.babbler

Post by s.babbler » Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:15 pm

I tried to find information regarding residence permit for a new born in Finland (of course he is not a Finnish citizen by birth :ochesey: ) in Migri webpage and there was nothing I could find. Does anyone know what to apply for- new residence permit or can be extended together with parent`s permit and on what basis? Thanks.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: Residence Permit for a new born in Finland

Post by betelgeuse » Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:48 pm

s.babbler wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:15 pm
I tried to find information regarding residence permit for a new born in Finland (of course he is not a Finnish citizen by birth :ochesey: ) in Migri webpage and there was nothing I could find. Does anyone know what to apply for- new residence permit or can be extended together with parent`s permit and on what basis? Thanks.
It's a new permit.

"If your child is born in Finland, you must submit a residence permit application for the child within three months from the birth. It is necessary to apply for a residence permit even if you have applied for Finnish citizenship for the child. Otherwise, your child does not have the right to reside in Finland."

https://enterfinland.fi/eServices/info/childspermit

s.babbler

Post by s.babbler » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:14 pm

Many thanks. Migri just mentioned that we needed to have name approved within certain time and once we get passport from home country we could proceed with permit application. Apparently it appears that he needed to apply for permit within three months :)- it is late already but I will file application and see how it goes.

s.babbler

Post by s.babbler » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:13 pm

Just to update the case:
I went after 3 months 12 days to Migri for the application as I received the passport yesterday. Practically they were ok with that. I stressed that I was late than recommended 3 months time for the application process and they mentioned that it is ok because they couldn`t proceed the application in any case without valid passport. So, lets see how the decision will be, but so far it seems ok even if there is some delay.

Thanks again @betelgeuse for sharing the information.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:09 pm

s.babbler wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:13 pm
Just to update the case:
I went after 3 months 12 days to Migri for the application as I received the passport yesterday. Practically they were ok with that. I stressed that I was late than recommended 3 months time for the application process and they mentioned that it is ok because they couldn`t proceed the application in any case without valid passport. So, lets see how the decision will be, but so far it seems ok even if there is some delay.

Thanks again @betelgeuse for sharing the information.
While the baby is currently illegally in the country, it would not be possible to get a deportation order.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:13 pm

betelgeuse wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:09 pm
While the baby is currently illegally in the country, it would not be possible to get a deportation order.
This should have been in past tense since handing in the application made residence legal (you can reside while an application is being processed).

paddy1111

Post by paddy1111 » Thu Dec 14, 2023 4:47 pm

Hi, I am in a similar situation. Could you please let me know what was the decision for your child's resident permit?