Birth Information

Family life in Finland from kindergartens, child education, language schooling and everyday life. Share information and experiences. Network with other families.
UYI

Re: Birth Information

Post by UYI » Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:16 am

I do know Ryss & Jugara were farms. And that its likley the Sophia & her brothers changed there last name because Ryss translated to "Russia".

I havnt been able to figure who the first Sandstrom was. Whether it was Johan, his brothers, or his father Matt. Although, I've only found 1 piece of information where he is referred to as Matt Sandstrom instead of Matts Ericksson. And those were hand written by his son Samuel. The Sandstrom name is something of a mystery!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:09 pm

UYI wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:16 am
I do know Ryss & Jugara were farms. And that its likley the Sophia & her brothers changed there last name because Ryss translated to "Russia".

I havnt been able to figure who the first Sandstrom was. Whether it was Johan, his brothers, or his father Matt. Although, I've only found 1 piece of information where he is referred to as Matt Sandstrom instead of Matts Ericksson. And those were hand written by his son Samuel. The Sandstrom name is something of a mystery!
There was no name change. Sandström and Fridlund were their last names.
In Finland the name of the farm or the patronymic name was usually used instead.
When you were living in a village you were saying the farm where you live when you meet someone. The farm can change several times during your lifetime.
As child on a farm you were saying the patronymic name when you meet someone.

It is not consistent which of these 3 last names are used on official documents in Finland.
In the US the name of the farm you lived in Finland was no longer useful information.

Hiski says:
Henrik Johan Jakobsson Fridlund, farm Ryss, son of a farmer, married 17.10.1891 in Florence Wisconsin by pastor F. A. Staberg to farmersdaughter Anna Lovisa Johansdr Slangar from Jeppo - likely her brother

A similar way to write a name would be Johan Mattsson Sandström, Jungarå

A book that could contain more about your ancestors:
Bertel Nyholm: Släkten Ryss i Monå, 1989
Needs a Swedish speaker to go to the National Library.

This potential brother of hers has a grandson Johan Frilund in Nykarleby: http://www.nykarlebyvyer.nu/sidor/texte ... lundv.html

UYI

Post by UYI » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:51 am

Those are her brothers. I'm glad to find out the names Sandstrom & Fridlund originated in Finland. I couldn't find any info stating otherwise. Even there passports did not include the names Sandstrom or Fridlund. They went by Jungara & Ryss, there farm names. Does this mean the name Sandstrom & Fridlund went back with every father before? I found 2 last (farm) names for my great grandfather X4. Born Matts Eriksson Kaup, died Matts Eriksson Jungara. Son of Erik Mattsson Kaup & Brita Christina Andersdotter. No mention of Sandstrom for them, that I've found.

UYI

Post by UYI » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:00 am

FinlandGirl wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:09 pm
UYI wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:16 am

There was no name change. Sandström and Fridlund were their last names.
In Finland the name of the farm or the patronymic name was usually used instead.
When you were living in a village you were saying the farm where you live when you meet someone. The farm can change several times during your lifetime.
As child on a farm you were saying the patronymic name when you meet someone.

It is not consistent which of these 3 last names are used on official documents in Finland.
In the US the name of the farm you lived in Finland was no longer useful information.

Hiski says:
Henrik Johan Jakobsson Fridlund, farm Ryss, son of a farmer, married 17.10.1891 in Florence Wisconsin by pastor F. A. Staberg to farmersdaughter Anna Lovisa Johansdr Slangar from Jeppo - likely her brother

A similar way to write a name would be Johan Mattsson Sandström, Jungarå

A book that could contain more about your ancestors:
Bertel Nyholm: Släkten Ryss i Monå, 1989
Needs a Swedish speaker to go to the National Library.

This potential brother of hers has a grandson Johan Frilund in Nykarleby: http://www.nykarlebyvyer.nu/sidor/texte ... lundv.html
Those are her brothers. I'm glad to find out the names Sandstrom & Fridlund originated in Finland. I couldn't find any info stating otherwise. Even there passports did not include the names Sandstrom or Fridlund. They went by Jungara & Ryss, there farm names. Does this mean the name Sandstrom & Fridlund went back with every father before? I found 2 last (farm) names for my great grandfather X4. Born Matts Eriksson Kaup, died Matts Eriksson Jungara. Son of Erik Mattsson Kaup & Brita Christina Andersdotter. No mention of Sandstrom for them, that I've found.

Also, regarding the photo..Henrik Johan Fridlund, Ryss who died in 1910, was my great grandmothers (X3) brother, Maria Sofia Jakobsdotter Fridund, Ryss. Daughter of Jakob Hansson Ryss & Anna Jakobsdotter Rav. Im trying to figure out if they were Russian, or Fins.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:04 pm

UYI wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:00 am
Also, regarding the photo..Henrik Johan Fridlund, Ryss who died in 1910, was my great grandmothers (X3) brother, Maria Sofia Jakobsdotter Fridund, Ryss. Daughter of Jakob Hansson Ryss & Anna Jakobsdotter Rav. Im trying to figure out if they were Russian, or Fins.
All names are Swedish.
1910 census lists "Fin-Swedish" as place of birth for your great grandparents and their parents.
They were Swedish speaking Finns, as expected for people from the west coast.
Finland was part of the Russian empire at that time.

Henriks grandson who wrote the article with the photo might be https://www.facebook.com/people/Johan-F ... 7807366089