Salary for family of 4

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
jjburklo
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:50 pm

Salary for family of 4

Post by jjburklo » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:54 pm

I am negotiating a salary for several jobs (1 in Helsinki, 1 in Tampere and 1 in Vaasa). I have a family of 4 (wife and 2 children- 6 and 8 years old). What would be a salary that would be sustainable for us to live an average lifestyle?

Thanks in advance



Salary for family of 4

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic
 

FinlandGirl
Posts: 524
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:43 am

Re: Salary for family of 4

Post by FinlandGirl » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:04 pm

jjburklo wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:54 pm
I am negotiating a salary for several jobs (1 in Helsinki, 1 in Tampere and 1 in Vaasa). I have a family of 4 (wife and 2 children- 6 and 8 years old). What would be a salary that would be sustainable for us to live an average lifestyle?
If your family needs a residence permit, then the legal requirement is at least 2600 Euro after taxes and social security.
This is also a realistic estimate what is necessary to make ends meet.

Average (pre-tax) salary in Finland is 3500 Euro.
In an average Finnish family both spouses are working full-time, so they end up with between 6000 and 8000 Euro.
For a single salary 6000 Euro is very high, and 8000 Euro usually not realistic at all.

Salaries and expenses are higher in the capital region and lower in remote places.

jjburklo
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:50 pm

Re: Salary for family of 4

Post by jjburklo » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:28 pm

FinlandGirl wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:04 pm
jjburklo wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:54 pm
I am negotiating a salary for several jobs (1 in Helsinki, 1 in Tampere and 1 in Vaasa). I have a family of 4 (wife and 2 children- 6 and 8 years old). What would be a salary that would be sustainable for us to live an average lifestyle?
If your family needs a residence permit, then the legal requirement is at least 2600 Euro after taxes and social security.
This is also a realistic estimate what is necessary to make ends meet.

Average (pre-tax) salary in Finland is 3500 Euro.
In an average Finnish family both spouses are working full-time, so they end up with between 6000 and 8000 Euro.
For a single salary 6000 Euro is very high, and 8000 Euro usually not realistic at all.

Salaries and expenses are higher in the capital region and lower in remote places.
Thanks we would need a residence permit. If I were to secure a contract and residence permit for the family would my wife be able to work? Would she have to meet a minimum salary? And are there any expenses that would be out of the ordinary that I would need to account for? Obviously, we area accounting for: rent, transportation, groceries, entertainment. Can my children attend public school or do they need to know Finnish first? What about auto insurance if we were to lease a car? Anything other expense that I am missing?
Last edited by jjburklo on Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

gramirezv
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:46 am

Re: Salary for family of 4

Post by gramirezv » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:00 am

If you get a residence permit for the grounds of work, your wife and kids would apply at the same time for residence permit on family ties.

If you both apply at the same time your permits would be processed at the same time, your wife's residence permit will be open to work anywhere she finds a job (that's the hardest part). If your job is for indefinite period, (not fixed period e.g. 6 monts, 1 year, etc) She will be be eligible to register as unemployed and apply for Finnish (or Swedish) language and integration courses.
Your children will have a permit that will allow them to attend school, they will be placed in a special group with other newcomers and will learn Finnish (or Swedish) usually this course lasts for a year and then they are transferred to regular school cases.

FinlandGirl
Posts: 524
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:43 am

Re: Salary for family of 4

Post by FinlandGirl » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:58 am

jjburklo wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:28 pm
FinlandGirl wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:04 pm
If your family needs a residence permit, then the legal requirement is at least 2600 Euro after taxes and social security.
This is also a realistic estimate what is necessary to make ends meet.
Thanks we would need a residence permit.
The tax calculator is currently offline, but this puts the minimum salary you need around 4000 Euro.
jjburklo wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:28 pm
If I were to secure a contract and residence permit for the family would my wife be able to work? Would she have to meet a minimum salary?
She would have the right to work in any job she gets offered.

Regarding finding a job, outside IT it is close to impossible to find any job without speaking Finnish,
Spouses usually spend the first year in a language course.
jjburklo wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:28 pm
And are there any expenses that would be out of the ordinary that I would need to account for? Obviously, we area accounting for: rent, transportation, groceries, entertainment.
This should cover all large expenses.
jjburklo wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:28 pm
What about auto insurance if we were to lease a car?
Without a Finnish credit history it is unlikely you would be considered eligible for any kind of leases or credit.

heretostay
Posts: 445
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:54 pm

Re: Salary for family of 4

Post by heretostay » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:47 pm

Keep in mind that the cost of living in each of those cities will vary significantly. Helsinki will be the highest by far, then Tampere, then Vaasa will likely be the lowest. Of course that is on average and things like availability of public transit and how close you live to the city center can make a difference too.

betelgeuse
Posts: 3661
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:24 am

Re: Salary for family of 4

Post by betelgeuse » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:25 am

FinlandGirl wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:58 am
Regarding finding a job, outside IT it is close to impossible to find any job without speaking Finnish,
You keep repeating this but hasn’t become any more accurate. My social cicles have plenty of people who have managed in non IT. They can’t all be the rare exception cases.

FinlandGirl
Posts: 524
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:43 am

Re: Salary for family of 4

Post by FinlandGirl » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:37 pm

betelgeuse wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:25 am
FinlandGirl wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:58 am
Regarding finding a job, outside IT it is close to impossible to find any job without speaking Finnish,
You keep repeating this but hasn’t become any more accurate. My social cicles have plenty of people who have managed in non IT. They can’t all be the rare exception cases.
What kind of jobs do your friends have who do cannot communicate at all in Finnish?

betelgeuse
Posts: 3661
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:24 am

Re: Salary for family of 4

Post by betelgeuse » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:09 pm

FinlandGirl wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:37 pm
What kind of jobs do your friends have who do cannot communicate at all in Finnish?
For example, construction, marketing, communications and academia.

heretostay
Posts: 445
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:54 pm

Re: Salary for family of 4

Post by heretostay » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:16 pm

There is a bartender in my town for this past year who speaks an extremely small amount of Finnish poorly. Native English speaker though and he seems to get along just fine and the locals find him amusing.

FinlandGirl
Posts: 524
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:43 am

Re: Salary for family of 4

Post by FinlandGirl » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:21 pm

betelgeuse wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:09 pm
FinlandGirl wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:37 pm
What kind of jobs do your friends have who do cannot communicate at all in Finnish?
For example, construction, marketing, communications and academia.
What kind of marketing or communications jobs did your friends get with zero Finnish?

betelgeuse
Posts: 3661
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:24 am

Re: Salary for family of 4

Post by betelgeuse » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:45 pm

FinlandGirl wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:21 pm
betelgeuse wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:09 pm
FinlandGirl wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:37 pm
What kind of jobs do your friends have who do cannot communicate at all in Finnish?
For example, construction, marketing, communications and academia.
What kind of marketing or communications jobs did your friends get with zero Finnish?
For example, a B2B copywriter.

inkku
Posts: 816
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:26 pm

Re: Salary for family of 4

Post by inkku » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:09 pm

Agree with betelgeuse, definitely, it is possible to get a job without Finnish or with limited knowledge of it, I also know quite a few guys, working mostly in the hospitality sector and companies doing international business.
Unfortunately, the ethos of this forum has been to discourage people to learn Finnish or to apply for jobs. Or to move to Finland.

inkku
Posts: 816
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:26 pm

Re: Salary for family of 4

Post by inkku » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:13 pm

jjburklo wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:54 pm
I am negotiating a salary for several jobs (1 in Helsinki, 1 in Tampere and 1 in Vaasa). I have a family of 4 (wife and 2 children- 6 and 8 years old). What would be a salary that would be sustainable for us to live an average lifestyle?

Thanks in advance
Am I the only one who is puzzled by this question? Are you basing your salary request on your family expenses instead of an acceptable salary level for that specific job? If you have specific knowledge and education, you will definitely be able to sustain a family in Finland. What differs is how much extra you will save or have at your disposal for eating out etc.

jjburklo
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:50 pm

Re: Salary for family of 4

Post by jjburklo » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:52 pm

inkku wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:13 pm
jjburklo wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:54 pm
I am negotiating a salary for several jobs (1 in Helsinki, 1 in Tampere and 1 in Vaasa). I have a family of 4 (wife and 2 children- 6 and 8 years old). What would be a salary that would be sustainable for us to live an average lifestyle?

Thanks in advance
Am I the only one who is puzzled by this question? Are you basing your salary request on your family expenses instead of an acceptable salary level for that specific job? If you have specific knowledge and education, you will definitely be able to sustain a family in Finland. What differs is how much extra you will save or have at your disposal for eating out etc.
I'm not sure answering this question is any of your business to be honest. My question was to determine the cost of living for a family of 4. I have found some useful information from other posters. Not sure how your condescending post is helpful.
Last edited by jjburklo on Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.


Post Reply