From kenya to finland

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Post Reply
Belinda
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:07 am

From kenya to finland

Post by Belinda » Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:06 pm

Hey guys. I currently live in kenya and would like to relocate to finland as a worker. I have visited Finland twice and I think it's a country I'd happily relocate to. Anyone knows any leads on how to go about this? any companies willing to employ people from outside finland and send employment letter to facilitate processing of work permit? PS: I'll do any jobs and most likely odd jobs since I understand they are easily available. Thanks



From kenya to finland

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic
 

heretostay
Posts: 504
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:54 pm

Re: From kenya to finland

Post by heretostay » Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:42 pm

Odd jobs will not get you a work permit. To get a residence permit based on work as a non-EU citizen, you need to have a work contract where you have special skills that are needed for the job or find a job that there is a labor shortage inside Finland and the EU. Most employers also require fluent Finnish skills.

https://migri.fi/en/residence-permit-fo ... yed-person

Belinda
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:07 am

Re: From kenya to finland

Post by Belinda » Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:49 pm

Thanks for the reply and the link πŸ‘

User avatar
agroot
Posts: 379
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:04 pm

Re: From kenya to finland

Post by agroot » Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:44 pm

Belinda wrote: ↑
Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:06 pm
any companies willing to employ people from outside finland and send employment letter to facilitate processing of work permit? PS: I'll do any jobs and most likely odd jobs since I understand they are easily available. Thanks
IT jobs.

There is a huge demand and no supply so companies hire overseas massively, use English for everything, and the laws are easier and the immigration processes are simpler and much faster (specialist permit). Often with full relocation packages.


If you're not trained for that... no idea

PS: you don't need a degree for IT jobs, and a degree alone would get you nowhere.

FinnGuyHelsinki
Posts: 1218
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:52 pm

Re: From kenya to finland

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:59 am

agroot wrote: ↑
Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:44 pm
Belinda wrote: ↑
Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:06 pm
any companies willing to employ people from outside finland and send employment letter to facilitate processing of work permit? PS: I'll do any jobs and most likely odd jobs since I understand they are easily available. Thanks
IT jobs.

There is a huge demand and no supply so companies hire overseas massively, use English for everything, and the laws are easier and the immigration processes are simpler and much faster (specialist permit). Often with full relocation packages.


If you're not trained for that... no idea

PS: you don't need a degree for IT jobs, and a degree alone would get you nowhere.
It's not like that. Sure, Finnish in many jobs isn't a requirement, but not speaking it is still a limiting factor for the number of available jobs.

Furthermore, IT as a field is a broad term, there's no "generic" IT job. There are available jobs, but due to their specific requirements - working experience with certain technologies, possibly also in a certain field - a minority of them are actually available to any given person.

Obviously employers want people that can jump in and start producing fairly quickly. Entry level positions do require a degree or at least working experience otherwise, and of course means starting at the bottom (career- and salary-wise).

FinlandGirl
Posts: 856
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:43 am

Re: From kenya to finland

Post by FinlandGirl » Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:58 am

FinnGuyHelsinki wrote: ↑
Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:59 am
agroot wrote: ↑
Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:44 pm
Belinda wrote: ↑
Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:06 pm
any companies willing to employ people from outside finland and send employment letter to facilitate processing of work permit? PS: I'll do any jobs and most likely odd jobs since I understand they are easily available. Thanks
IT jobs.

There is a huge demand and no supply so companies hire overseas massively, use English for everything, and the laws are easier and the immigration processes are simpler and much faster (specialist permit). Often with full relocation packages.

If you're not trained for that... no idea

PS: you don't need a degree for IT jobs, and a degree alone would get you nowhere.
It's not like that. Sure, Finnish in many jobs isn't a requirement, but not speaking it is still a limiting factor for the number of available jobs.
In recent years there is a trend that even Finnish IT companies who were previously using Finnish are switching to English because there are not that many qualified Finns available, and employees from Asia tend to accept lower salaries.
FinnGuyHelsinki wrote: ↑
Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:59 am
Furthermore, IT as a field is a broad term, there's no "generic" IT job. There are available jobs, but due to their specific requirements - working experience with certain technologies, possibly also in a certain field - a minority of them are actually available to any given person.
This is true, but either you have skills in high demand or you don't have such skills.
Either there are plenty of companies searching for your skills (and some of them will not require Finnish), or you will in any case struggle to find a job.
FinnGuyHelsinki wrote: ↑
Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:59 am
Obviously employers want people that can jump in and start producing fairly quickly. Entry level positions do require a degree or at least working experience otherwise, and of course means starting at the bottom (career- and salary-wise).
Finnish companies cannot reliably judge a degree or working experience from a country like Kenya, making it harder for them to hire applicants from abroad.

FinnGuyHelsinki
Posts: 1218
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:52 pm

Re: From kenya to finland

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:46 am

FinlandGirl wrote: ↑
Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:58 am
FinnGuyHelsinki wrote: ↑
Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:59 am
agroot wrote: ↑
Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:44 pm


IT jobs.

There is a huge demand and no supply so companies hire overseas massively, use English for everything, and the laws are easier and the immigration processes are simpler and much faster (specialist permit). Often with full relocation packages.

If you're not trained for that... no idea

PS: you don't need a degree for IT jobs, and a degree alone would get you nowhere.
It's not like that. Sure, Finnish in many jobs isn't a requirement, but not speaking it is still a limiting factor for the number of available jobs.
In recent years there is a trend that even Finnish IT companies who were previously using Finnish are switching to English because there are not that many qualified Finns available, and employees from Asia tend to accept lower salaries.
Yes, the "IT" workers can almost always use English between themselves, I was referring to jobs, of which there are many, where the internal and/or external customers don't (prefer to) speak English, or the end product and/or the work specification at least in parts is in Finnish.
FinlandGirl wrote: ↑
Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:58 am
FinnGuyHelsinki wrote: ↑
Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:59 am
Furthermore, IT as a field is a broad term, there's no "generic" IT job. There are available jobs, but due to their specific requirements - working experience with certain technologies, possibly also in a certain field - a minority of them are actually available to any given person.
This is true, but either you have skills in high demand or you don't have such skills.
Either there are plenty of companies searching for your skills (and some of them will not require Finnish), or you will in any case struggle to find a job.
Sure. The point I was trying to make is that the amount of job listings, by job titles alone, may be a bit misleading. E.g. a "software engineer" covers a much wider array of jobs, and hence job requirements, than, say, a "car mechanic".

FinlandGirl
Posts: 856
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:43 am

Re: From kenya to finland

Post by FinlandGirl » Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:13 am

FinnGuyHelsinki wrote: ↑
Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:46 am
FinlandGirl wrote: ↑
Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:58 am
FinnGuyHelsinki wrote: ↑
Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:59 am


It's not like that. Sure, Finnish in many jobs isn't a requirement, but not speaking it is still a limiting factor for the number of available jobs.
In recent years there is a trend that even Finnish IT companies who were previously using Finnish are switching to English because there are not that many qualified Finns available, and employees from Asia tend to accept lower salaries.
Yes, the "IT" workers can almost always use English between themselves, I was referring to jobs, of which there are many, where the internal and/or external customers don't (prefer to) speak English, or the end product and/or the work specification at least in parts is in Finnish.
Yes, positions that require interaction with external Finnish customers often require Finnish.

I was referring to the language Finnish companies are using for all internal communication, except for international companies this is usually Finnish.
This is now changing in some companies (and our major is also suggesting that Helsinki should make English an official language dropping requirements to speak Finnish or Swedish).
FinnGuyHelsinki wrote: ↑
Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:46 am
FinlandGirl wrote: ↑
Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:58 am
FinnGuyHelsinki wrote: ↑
Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:59 am
Furthermore, IT as a field is a broad term, there's no "generic" IT job. There are available jobs, but due to their specific requirements - working experience with certain technologies, possibly also in a certain field - a minority of them are actually available to any given person.
This is true, but either you have skills in high demand or you don't have such skills.
Either there are plenty of companies searching for your skills (and some of them will not require Finnish), or you will in any case struggle to find a job.
Sure. The point I was trying to make is that the amount of job listings, by job titles alone, may be a bit misleading. E.g. a "software engineer" covers a much wider array of jobs, and hence job requirements, than, say, a "car mechanic".
Full agreement on that.

NukkuMatti
Posts: 181
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:51 pm

Re: From kenya to finland

Post by NukkuMatti » Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:50 pm

Before you even consider coming here to Finland, please beware of the following article in the Local English language Finnish State owned news today:

https://yle.fi/uutiset/osasto/news/unio ... d/12114024

No comments or opinions from me, just read the article..

User avatar
agroot
Posts: 379
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:04 pm

Re: From kenya to finland

Post by agroot » Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:57 pm

NukkuMatti wrote: ↑
Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:50 pm
Before you even consider coming here to Finland, please beware of the following article in the Local English language Finnish State owned news today:

https://yle.fi/uutiset/osasto/news/unio ... d/12114024
I'd say that's not true for the IT I know. There are no different compensations for foreigners and in fact we cost more because of relocation package and extra assistances that Finns don't need, and those are not even part of recruitment consideration. At least it is so where I work and for senior levels.

NukkuMatti
Posts: 181
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:51 pm

Re: From kenya to finland

Post by NukkuMatti » Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:48 pm

agroot wrote: ↑
Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:57 pm
NukkuMatti wrote: ↑
Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:50 pm
Before you even consider coming here to Finland, please beware of the following article in the Local English language Finnish State owned news today:

https://yle.fi/uutiset/osasto/news/unio ... d/12114024
I'd say that's not true for the IT I know. There are no different compensations for foreigners and in fact we cost more because of relocation package and extra assistances that Finns don't need, and those are not even part of recruitment consideration. At least it is so where I work and for senior levels.
As I said, it was without comment or opinion, I do however know that IT of senior positions like you mention, is not the major work force of Finland (understatement) and therefore in the statistics used for the article (and basically real life / whole Finnish workforce) negligible.

User avatar
agroot
Posts: 379
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:04 pm

Re: From kenya to finland

Post by agroot » Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:09 am

NukkuMatti wrote: ↑
Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:48 pm
As I said, it was without comment or opinion, I do however know that IT of senior positions like you mention, is not the major work force of Finland (understatement) and therefore in the statistics used for the article (and basically real life / whole Finnish workforce) negligible.
True but I doubt he or she would be able to come here by any other way :D

NukkuMatti
Posts: 181
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:51 pm

Re: From kenya to finland

Post by NukkuMatti » Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:07 pm

agroot wrote: ↑
Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:09 am
NukkuMatti wrote: ↑
Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:48 pm
As I said, it was without comment or opinion, I do however know that IT of senior positions like you mention, is not the major work force of Finland (understatement) and therefore in the statistics used for the article (and basically real life / whole Finnish workforce) negligible.
True but I doubt he or she would be able to come here by any other way :D
Marriage... :lol:

Belinda
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:07 am

Re: From kenya to finland

Post by Belinda » Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:20 pm

I can promise you there are other ways to go to finland e.g marriage(like mentioned above) aupair, studies...etc so don't be so doubtful

NukkuMatti
Posts: 181
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:51 pm

Re: From kenya to finland

Post by NukkuMatti » Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:10 pm

Belinda wrote: ↑
Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:20 pm
I can promise you there are other ways to go to Finland e.g marriage(like mentioned above) aupair, studies...etc so don't be so doubtful
The Au-pair residency has a maximum of 1 year I believe and is not possible to extend and lots of requirements, so no option if you want to stay here.

Studies will mean deep pockets because you will need to pay for the university / university of applied sciences as a non EU citizen, you also need to get accepted first as well.. but not impossible indeed, but no guarantees you will get an extension after your studies (unless you study to become f.e. a doctor).
https://migri.fi/en/studying-in-finland

So yes there are more options available but the ones that are (in regards to your question in your original post) applicable to you might be limited to marriage alone, or you need to have deep filled pockets...in that case considering the amount needed, it might be better to live somewhere with less foreigner hatred and lower living costs, more light / less darkness, less mosquitoes.
The Netherlands might be an opportunity and no language requirements other than English for most jobs, huge African communities, easier and more job opportunities. Lots of Coffee-shops!!!

Once you live there, it is easier to move to Finland too...if you still want after your experiences in Amsterdam compared to Helsinki...

Anyway good luck with your plans..


Post Reply