Examination of impediments to marriage for non-eu + non-eu timeline.

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Kuzay

Post by Kuzay » Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:54 pm

Hi,

I live in Finland based on my work residence permit and I'm non eu citizen.

My fiancee is also non-eu citizen. We want to get married in Finland and for that we need to go through examination of impediments to marriage first. We can get required certificates from our embassy on the same day, but a bit concerned how much time will it take for the examination to happen (my fiancee most likely will have about 2-3 weeks maximum to stay in Finland since she has a job in another country, so we want to get married quickly).

On dvv site it stands that the process usually takes several weeks for foreigners. Does anyone have experience how much time it usually takes for the examination of both are non-eu citizens? And is there any way to speed up the process like to tell dvv we have limited amount of time ?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: Examination of impediments to marriage for non-eu + non-eu timeline.

Post by betelgeuse » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:55 am

Kuzay wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:54 pm
Hi,

I live in Finland based on my work residence permit and I'm non eu citizen.

My fiancee is also non-eu citizen. We want to get married in Finland and for that we need to go through examination of impediments to marriage first. We can get required certificates from our embassy on the same day, but a bit concerned how much time will it take for the examination to happen (my fiancee most likely will have about 2-3 weeks maximum to stay in Finland since she has a job in another country, so we want to get married quickly).

On dvv site it stands that the process usually takes several weeks for foreigners. Does anyone have experience how much time it usually takes for the examination of both are non-eu citizens? And is there any way to speed up the process like to tell dvv we have limited amount of time ?
She doesn’t need to be in the country for the process. You can start it, for example, a couple months before the wedding.

Kuzay

Post by Kuzay » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:59 pm

Thanks for the reply! Is it correct that I just need to get her marital certificate translated and legalised and then attach it to the examination application ?

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:10 pm

Kuzay wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:59 pm
Thanks for the reply! Is it correct that I just need to get her marital certificate translated and legalised and then attach it to the examination application ?
You need to check DVV instructions on when it needs to be translated or legalised. Though, it wouldn't be rejected if one of the procedures was done unnecessarily.

https://dvv.fi/en/examination-of-impedi ... o-marriage

krapulassa

Post by krapulassa » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:22 pm

Kuzay wrote:
No impediments to marriage certificate can be issued without your partner being present in Finland. You can get "no impediments to marriage" form signed by two witnesses (living in Finland) who can verify your signature. And then send the form to DVV office and have them certify that they have no prior record of your marriage. Once they complete their inspection, they will send you a "license to marry" form in mail. You have to get married within 3 months of receiving that certificate.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:25 pm

krapulassa wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:22 pm
Kuzay wrote:
No impediments to marriage certificate can be issued without your partner being present in Finland. You can get "no impediments to marriage" form signed by two witnesses (living in Finland) who can verify your signature. And then send the form to DVV office and have them certify that they have no prior record of your marriage. Once they complete their inspection, they will send you a "license to marry" form in mail. You have to get married within 3 months of receiving that certificate.
Are you confusing the process with the one for prenuptial agreements? The paper form has no requirement for witnesses.

https://dvv.fi/documents/16079645/17653 ... 8006916555

Kuzay

Post by Kuzay » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:44 am

I got an email from dvv that it's possible to go through examination process without both partners presented in the country, but all documents needs to be legalised.

Kuzay

Post by Kuzay » Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:28 pm

Hi everyone, I want to give an update on this topic.

1) So since me and my fiancee are both non-EU citizens we got the certificate from our native country embassy that we're not married at the moment;
2) My fiancee have filled the examination form by herself with the info related to her. Like name, lastname, etc. and signed it;
3) She sent me the form by mail to Finland so I could fill it and sign it also;
4) I scheduled an appointment in DVV for the examination and applied the form there;
5) Exactly after one week we've received an email with the certificate so we can get married.

Please let me know if you have any questions on this matter.

hana dina

Post by hana dina » Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:56 am

Hello everyone
I have ve send the necessary document to get impediment certaficate for marriage، it has been almost a month now and i didnt receive it yet?
I am a foreigner and my spouse is finnish, does anyone has experience can tell how long does it take for them and how long i am suppose to wait ?
Thanks on advance

crisach

Post by crisach » Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:13 pm

hana dina wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:56 am
Hello everyone
I have ve send the necessary document to get impediment certaficate for marriage، it has been almost a month now and i didnt receive it yet?
I am a foreigner and my spouse is finnish, does anyone has experience can tell how long does it take for them and how long i am suppose to wait ?
Thanks on advance
Somehitng simialr here. I called today and they told me I should expect 4-5 weeks for the reply.

ryshkanovka

Post by ryshkanovka » Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:26 pm

Same situation here. My fiancée is a foreigner, and we are waiting for more than 4 weeks... I really hope DVV gives the decision soon, as my fiancée has exactly one month left of her Schengen visa :(

crisach

Post by crisach » Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:33 pm

Update. We got ours after 15 days.

NaLeKoNa

Post by NaLeKoNa » Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:00 pm

hana dina wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:56 am
Hello everyone
Thanks on advance
Hi, may I ask, how long did it take before you got it, did it reach 6 weeks?

NaLeKoNa

Post by NaLeKoNa » Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:00 pm

ryshkanovka wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:26 pm
Same situation here. My fiancée is a foreigner, and we are waiting for more than 4 weeks... I really hope DVV gives the decision soon, as my fiancée has exactly one month left of her Schengen visa :(
Hello, how long did it take in all before you got it?