Researcher residence permit/ Self funded

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
victoragb

Post by victoragb » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:05 am

Hi guys,

Actually, I just finished my master's studies and still have a valid studies residence permit. I will apply for a self-funded Ph.D. and hence, a researcher residence permit. I have read from Migri website that it requires 12,000 Euros per one year which is a lot. But away from that if I managed to handle the money, would it be a type A or B permit? Another thing, Can I get the residence permit in case it is a part-time Ph.D. or it has to be full-time? as Part-time will be easier to work besides studying. Thanks in advance for your help!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: Researcher residence permit/ Self funded

Post by betelgeuse » Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:01 pm

victoragb wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:05 am
Actually, I just finished my master's studies and still have a valid studies residence permit. I will apply for a self-funded Ph.D. and hence, a researcher residence permit. I have read from Migri website that it requires 12,000 Euros per one year which is a lot. But away from that if I managed to handle the money, would it be a type A or B permit?
Seems to be A.

"Oleskelulupa myönnetään jatkuvana kahdeksi vuodeksi tai enintään sopimuksen voimassaoloajaksi, jos sopimus on voimassa alle kaksi vuotta. Jatko-oleskelulupa myönnetään enintään neljäksi vuodeksi."

https://www.finlex.fi/fi/laki/alkup/201 ... p446517040
victoragb wrote:
Another thing, Can I get the residence permit in case it is a part-time Ph.D. or it has to be full-time? as Part-time will be easier to work besides studying. Thanks in advance for your help!
"Once you are granted a residence permit, you can also do other types of work while working as a researcher. You must, however, work full-time as a researcher and make progress in your research work. When you apply for an extended permit, the Finnish Immigration Service will check that you are making progress with your research work and that scientific research is still the main purpose of your stay in Finland."

https://migri.fi/en/researcher

FinlandGirl

Re: Researcher residence permit/ Self funded

Post by FinlandGirl » Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:53 pm

victoragb wrote:
Actually, I just finished my master's studies and still have a valid studies residence permit. I will apply for a self-funded Ph.D. and hence, a researcher residence permit. I have read from Migri website that it requires 12,000 Euros per one year which is a lot.
1000 Euro is a realistic estimate for the monthly living expenses of a non-student adult in Finland.
victoragb wrote:
Can I get the residence permit in case it is a part-time Ph.D. or it has to be full-time? as Part-time will be easier to work besides studying.
Easiest would be if you would apply for a residence permit for a full-time job, and then do a part-time Ph.D. additionally.
Depending on your field, there might even be opportunities to combine both.