Migri changed RP processing time for family member of EU citizen

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Kaching

Post by Kaching » Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:14 pm

Hi folks,

I noticed that the Processing time for a family member of EU citizen has changed on Migri website https://migri.fi/en/residence-card-for-family-members

It used to be 1-2 months for electronic application, now both electronic and paper applications will take 6 months.

Has anyone else noticed this change? I initially planned to apply for this route as a family member of a Finnish citizen who has lived in other EU country (I work there, we used to live together there) but since the processing time has changed, I don't know if the granted permit duration has also been changed (it was 5-year card before). Does anyone have any information? To apply for this route, I would need to travel to Finland to prove my identity at a service point (and travelling now isn't the easiest thing to do, even within the EU).

Any thoughts/advice would be greatly appreciated :D

Many thanks

May you have the compassion to look with the eyes of understanding before posting :lightbulb:

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinlandGirl

Re: Migri changed RP processing time for family member of EU citizen

Post by FinlandGirl » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:51 pm

Kaching wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:14 pm
in other EU country (I work there
I would need to travel to Finland to prove my identity at a service point
You would need to move your residence from the other EU country to Finland before you can apply.
Kaching wrote:
(and travelling now isn't the easiest thing to do, even within the EU)
According to the rules in place right now, entering Finland is not a problem when you are in a relationship with a person residing in Finland.
Kaching wrote:
I don't know if the granted permit duration has also been changed (it was 5-year card before). Does anyone have any information?
Migri wrote:A residence card is issued for five years at a time. It can also be issued for a shorter time if you plan to stay in Finland for less than five years. After five years, you may get a permanent residence card

Kaching

Post by Kaching » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:15 pm

Thank you both for your replies!

@yrtti: The person is my (Finnish) husband, whom I got married to in Finland last year but I currently live and work in another EU country. He used to live with me in this EU country too but moved back to Finland for work. So I guess the ties are strong enough :lol:

My work contract finishes in October 2021 and I plan to move to Finland after. If Migri kept their original processing time (1-2 months), we had plenty of time to apply (I travel to Finland during the summer - July or August - to validate my identity at a service point). Since they changed the time without prior notice, this left us with very little time to apply. The earliest time that I can travel to Finland is June 2021, & processing time now is 6 months, so I potentially run the risk of having a gap between my current RP (expires Oct '21) and the next one (if they grants me in Dec '21).

@Finlandgirl:
FinlandGirl wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:51 pm
You would need to move your residence from the other EU country to Finland before you can apply.

Can you please clarify on this? My current residence from the other EU country is based on work and when my contract finishes, the residence also. Since I don't have a job line up for me in Finland (yet!), I am looking to move to Finland based on family ties, but the road I plan to take seems to be super bumpy :(
May you have the compassion to look with the eyes of understanding before posting :lightbulb:

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:51 pm

Kaching wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:15 pm
My work contract finishes in October 2021 and I plan to move to Finland after. If Migri kept their original processing time (1-2 months), we had plenty of time to apply (I travel to Finland during the summer - July or August - to validate my identity at a service point). Since they changed the time without prior notice, this left us with very little time to apply.
These times are just estimates, prior notice would be pointless when adjusting estimates to reality.
Kaching wrote:
The earliest time that I can travel to Finland is June 2021, & processing time now is 6 months, so I potentially run the risk of having a gap between my current RP (expires Oct '21) and the next one (if they grants me in Dec '21).

@Finlandgirl:
FinlandGirl wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:51 pm

Can you please clarify on this?
You cannot apply in advance, you register after you have moved to Finland.

Usually residence card is better, but if you insist on applying in advance then applying for an RP instead is also an option.
For an RP you could apply in advance, and also apply from abroad.
RP rules are very different from residence card rules.
Kaching wrote:
My current residence from the other EU country is based on work and when my contract finishes, the residence also.
You have the right to live and work in Finland while waiting for the decision for a residence card.

Kaching

Post by Kaching » Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:48 pm

Hi @FinlandGirl,

So I called the generic customer number of Migri and they said I can apply without moving my residence (from another EU country) to Finland but they do stress that I have to travel to a service point in Finland to prove my identity. They couldn't, however, tell me what rights (health care etc.) I have while waiting for the decision.

I asked if I have to remain in Finland while waiting for the resident permit, which the Migri person couldn't provide a clear answer. They then suggested me to call the specific number for EU matters (1 hour/day, only Tues, Weds Thurs). I have tried and called for the last 2 weeks but it has always been 'busy'.

Now I am left with lots a questions (still):
- You said I have rights to stay/work in Finland while waiting for the residence card. For staying maybe, but I don't think I can 'work' as this is my first permit in Finland. I know when I am waiting for an extended permit, the rights of the last permit continue. Still, do you (or anyone else) know if I will
have access to social services (at least healthcare) while waiting (for the first permit)? I do have the European Healthcare card.

- You point out that there are differences between the RP rules and residence card rules. I have understood for a long time that it's just semantic to call a residence card a residence permit. I didn't know these differences exist. Would you be so kind to provide a link to more information?

Thank you so very kindly :D

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:29 pm

Kaching wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:48 pm
- You said I have rights to stay/work in Finland while waiting for the residence card. For staying maybe, but I don't think I can 'work' as this is my first permit in Finland.
You gave a link in your first post.
Read the information written there.
Kaching wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:48 pm
- You point out that there are differences between the RP rules and residence card rules. I have understood for a long time that it's just semantic to call a residence card a residence permit. I didn't know these differences exist. Would you be so kind to provide a link to more information?
https://migri.fi/en/first-residence-permit
https://migri.fi/en/residence-card-for-family-members