EU registration; Brexit

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
juplik

EU registration; Brexit

Post by juplik » Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:54 pm

I’m here asking for advice. So, I’m a British citizen and back on 27th October 2020 I submitted my application for EU residency not under the withdrawal agreement. This was discussed but I was told by the official that I could apply for either, it was a choice but of course I’m aware I’ll have to make a second application anyway. I attended the appointment to prove my identity and my application was placed in a processing queue. I received a proof of pending certificate and I was told at the appointment that I would receive a decision before 31st December 2020, this did not happen and I’m still waiting.
I am told that I should have received a decision on the day of my appointment and that my fingerprints should have been taken, none of this happened.

I have spoken to other learned people and they believe I am at best being treated incorrectly. I am asking for advice before I engage lawyers full time to investigate the matter.
I have already consulted with several legal firms and they are happy to look into the matter. But if I can get an insight before committing to spending many thousands of euros that would be better.

Any guidance would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

EU registration; Brexit

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: EU registration; Brexit

Post by betelgeuse » Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:14 pm

juplik wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:54 pm
I’m here asking for advice. So, I’m a British citizen and back on 27th October 2020 I submitted my application for EU residency not under the withdrawal agreement. This was discussed but I was told by the official that I could apply for either, it was a choice but of course I’m aware I’ll have to make a second application anyway. I attended the appointment to prove my identity and my application was placed in a processing queue. I received a proof of pending certificate and I was told at the appointment that I would receive a decision before 31st December 2020, this did not happen and I’m still waiting.
I am told that I should have received a decision on the day of my appointment and that my fingerprints should have been taken, none of this happened.

I have spoken to other learned people and they believe I am at best being treated incorrectly. I am asking for advice before I engage lawyers full time to investigate the matter.
I have already consulted with several legal firms and they are happy to look into the matter. But if I can get an insight before committing to spending many thousands of euros that would be better.
Have you tried asking Migri?

https://migri.fi/en/contact-information

"Upon the request of a party, the authority shall inform the party about the estimated date of issue of a decision and respond to queries about the progress of consideration."

https://www.finlex.fi/fi/laki/kaannokse ... 030434.pdf

juplik

Post by juplik » Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:27 pm

I have tried to ask Migri by phone and email. The phone lines do not accept English language calls right now and they have not replied to my emails.

tavastia

Post by tavastia » Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:08 pm

You have no decision positive or negative, there is nothing you can do with the layers. Just wait and be happy they don't tell you to apply for regular residence permit.

Maaria

Post by Maaria » Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:19 pm

I applied for my UK citizen child born in Finland in September 2020 for EU citizen's right of residence as instructed by Migri. Then it was not processed until February 2021. Migri sent a notification saying that since she is no longer an EU citizen, she is not eligible for EU right of residence. Migri sent me brexit 1 form to fill out to change the application from EU right of residence to brexit application. I did that. Migri decided positive soon after for her brexit right of residence.

So it's a good idea for you to call Migri and discuss your situation with them. Another option would be to make an appointment and go to a Migri appointment center and ask for help.

juplik

Post by juplik » Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:29 am

Maaria wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:19 pm
I applied for my UK citizen child born in Finland in September 2020 for EU citizen's right of residence as instructed by Migri. Then it was not processed until February 2021. Migri sent a notification saying that since she is no longer an EU citizen, she is not eligible for EU right of residence. Migri sent me brexit 1 form to fill out to change the application from EU right of residence to brexit application. I did that. Migri decided positive soon after for her brexit right of residence.

So it's a good idea for you to call Migri and discuss your situation with them. Another option would be to make an appointment and go to a Migri appointment center and ask for help.
I have had the same request; when you submitted the second application did you submit the paper application or the digital application? Did you also have to attend an appointment all over again?
Last edited by juplik on Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Maaria

Post by Maaria » Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:09 am

juplik wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:29 am
Maaria wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:19 pm

I have had the same request; when you submitted the second application did you submit the paper application or the digital application? Did you also have to attend an appointment all over again?
They asked me thru enterfinland as my first application was via enterfinland. In the supplement request, brexit-1 PDF form was attached. I filled it out and send it via enterfinland as a reply to supplement request.

juplik

Post by juplik » Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:24 pm

This morning I attended an appointment in Helsinki to submit a new application for right of residence under withdrawal agreement. 45 minutes later I received a positive decision. I’m relieved and delighted.

Maaria

Post by Maaria » Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:49 pm

juplik wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:24 pm
This morning I attended an appointment in Helsinki to submit a new application for right of residence under withdrawal agreement. 45 minutes later I received a positive decision. I’m relieved and delighted.
So Migri decided your application same day? I was told brexit application has 6 months wait time.

juplik

Post by juplik » Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:41 am

Maaria wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:49 pm
juplik wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:24 pm
So Migri decided your application same day? I was told brexit application has 6 months wait time.
My application was my response to their request for more information so the application was already in progress. Even still, I was surprised how quickly it was decided. Within 24 hours of receiving their request I’d submitted the application, booked an appointment in Helsinki and received the decision. It was pretty crazy.