Moving from UK to Finland post Brexit.

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
keith_littler

Post by keith_littler » Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:56 pm

Hi.

I have no doubt this topic is covered already somewhere and I am more than happy to be pointed in that direction if so.

As the title suggests looking to move to Finland full time and for the long term, some key parameters here:

British citizen so of course a non-EU citizen now
In long term relationship/co-habiting with my partner who is a Finnish passport holder as is our daughter
We all currently reside in the UK
Planning to move with my current job which is with a non-Finnish company with no other employees in Finland but with several EU based operating companies/subsidiaries
I would expect any Finnish based taxation arrangements to be "normal" and entitle me to pension, social security and health services.

I am struggling to identify a clear pathway through a jungle of information sources to figure out the following:

Would my company have to register as a company in Finland to employ me there?
Is there a website/links (Vero/Kela/Pension Service etc) that can be used to accurately calculate the costs of employer pension and social security contributions to allow a comparison to be made to my current situation.
With the scenario described what is the best Visa/Residence Permit route option to look to take? My research so far would indicate that some form of family based application would be something that I would qualify for and could start the process from here in the UK (as my partner is intending to move back to Finland) but is this the best path to follow if I would be moving there as an employed person with income that meets any threshold requirements?

If you have read this far and can offer some guidance then I/we would be very grateful.

Thanks, Keith

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: Moving from UK to Finland post Brexit.

Post by betelgeuse » Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:25 pm

keith_littler wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:56 pm
I have no doubt this topic is covered already somewhere and I am more than happy to be pointed in that direction if so.

As the title suggests looking to move to Finland full time and for the long term, some key parameters here:

In long term relationship/co-habiting with my partner who is a Finnish passport holder as is our daughter
For more than two years?
keith_littler wrote:
I would expect any Finnish based taxation arrangements to be "normal" and entitle me to pension, social security and health services.
You do also have the option to stay under the British system for a some years (A1 certificate) for social security purposes (for example, pension) if you end up thinking it makes more sense.
keith_littler wrote:
Would my company have to register as a company in Finland to employ me there?
Yes, as a foreign company to file your payroll info.

"Even if a foreign employer does not have a permanent establishment in Finland as regards income taxation and is not registered with the Employer Register, it must submit an earnings payment report to the Incomes Register in the following situations"

https://www.vero.fi/en/incomes-register ... ligations/
keith_littler wrote:
Is there a website/links (Vero/Kela/Pension Service etc) that can be used to accurately calculate the costs of employer pension and social security contributions to allow a comparison to be made to my current situation.
https://www.yrittajat.fi/yrittajan-abc/ ... 021-638673

https://www.vero.fi/en/individuals/tax- ... alculator/
keith_littler wrote:
With the scenario described what is the best Visa/Residence Permit route option to look to take?
If you qualify, as a family member of EU citizen who has used free movement rights.

https://migri.fi/en/residence-card-for-family-members
keith_littler wrote:
My research so far would indicate that some form of family based application would be something that I would qualify for and could start the process from here in the UK (as my partner is intending to move back to Finland) but is this the best path to follow if I would be moving there as an employed person with income that meets any threshold requirements?
It mainly comes down to the cost of the application and processing times, if you qualify for multiple residence permits (if the EU route above is not available).

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:27 pm

betelgeuse wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:25 pm
keith_littler wrote:

For more than two years?
Parsed this again. Presumably you have joint custody, so you would qualify as a family member regardless of the length.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:53 pm

keith_littler wrote:
Planning to move with my current job which is with a non-Finnish company with no other employees in Finland but with several EU based operating companies/subsidiaries
Moving the employment to a subsidiary in non-Finnish EU country can make sense.
Turning the employment into self-employment where you take care of taxation and mandatory social security is the easiest option for the employer.
keith_littler wrote:
My research so far would indicate that some form of family based application would be something that I would qualify for and could start the process from here in the UK (as my partner is intending to move back to Finland) but is this the best path to follow if I would be moving there as an employed person with income that meets any threshold requirements?
Finland does not grant Residence Permits based on sufficient income or savings, work based Residence Permits are not an option if your employer is not operating in Finland.

There is no income requirement for family members of Finnish citizen, moving as guardian of your daughter would be the obvious option.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:54 pm

betelgeuse wrote:
keith_littler wrote:
You do also have the option to stay under the British system for a some years (A1 certificate) for social security purposes (for example, pension) if you end up thinking it makes more sense.
This option ended with the transition period on 31.12.2020.
betelgeuse wrote:
keith_littler wrote:
With the scenario described what is the best Visa/Residence Permit route option to look to take?
If you qualify, as a family member of EU citizen who has used free movement rights.

Is there already case law how these rules are applied to people moving from a country that ceased being a member of the EU before moving?

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:13 pm

FinlandGirl wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:54 pm
betelgeuse wrote:
keith_littler wrote:
This option ended with the transition period on 31.12.2020.
A1 certificate rules are covered by the personal scope of the withdrawal agreement.
FinlandGirl wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:54 pm
betelgeuse wrote:
keith_littler wrote:

Is there already case law how these rules are applied to people moving from a country that ceased being a member of the EU before moving?
Don't need case law when there's the withdrawal agreement.

kafkafinland

Post by kafkafinland » Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:00 pm

Hi all,

I have joint custody of my Finnish daughter who lives in Hesinki with her mother for three months, and with me for 9 months of the year outside Finland. I cannot access any services for my daughter without a Finnish social security number. I wont get one because I am not, and will not qualiofy as a Finnish resident. How do I exercise my legal obligations and rights as a parent if I can't do this? are there any work arounds? For example, I cannot access her health records or book appointments for her with kella. I can't pay money into her bank account etc. grateful for any advice.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:47 am

kafkafinland wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:00 pm
I have joint custody of my Finnish daughter who lives in Hesinki with her mother for three months, and with me for 9 months of the year outside Finland. I cannot access any services for my daughter without a Finnish social security number. I wont get one because I am not, and will not qualiofy as a Finnish resident. How do I exercise my legal obligations and rights as a parent if I can't do this? are there any work arounds? For example, I cannot access her health records or book appointments for her with kella. I can't pay money into her bank account etc. grateful for any advice.
You should be able to get one when you can demonstrate such need. A workaround is for the mother to employ you shortly and get the code from the tax authority. You don’t need a personal identity code to make bank transfers.

PS. Your questions seem to be more for a new thread than related to this.