URGENT Family member traveling to Finland

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
ferryto

Post by ferryto » Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:22 pm

Hello. I am from Chile and have a student resident permit. Currently I'm in Finland and my wife wants to visit me in Finland, stay for some days and get back to Chile. She is chilean, so she doesnt need visa for entering schengen area. In this case, taking into account the current pandemic situation, can she visit me in finland with only her passport (she doesnt have not residence permit). How is the proccess? Please explain. Thnk.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: URGENT Family member traveling to Finland

Post by betelgeuse » Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:12 am

ferryto wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:22 pm
Hello. I am from Chile and have a student resident permit. Currently I'm in Finland and my wife wants to visit me in Finland, stay for some days and get back to Chile. She is chilean, so she doesnt need visa for entering schengen area. In this case, taking into account the current pandemic situation, can she visit me in finland with only her passport (she doesnt have not residence permit). How is the proccess? Please explain. Thnk.
A marriage certificate in English is helpful.

https://raja.fi/en/guidelines-for-borde ... g-pandemic

heretostay

Post by heretostay » Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:27 am

Make sure she has a copy of your residence permit to show the airline also.

ferryto

Post by ferryto » Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:12 pm

Thanks for the response. She doesnt know English, so any issue with it in the airport of Helsinki? She will have to explain why she wants to visit me etc.?

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:46 pm

ferryto wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:12 pm
Thanks for the response. She doesnt know English, so any issue with it in the airport of Helsinki? She will have to explain why she wants to visit me etc.?
If communication doesn’t work otherwise, they will have to resort to an interpreter in secondary.

Kuzay

Post by Kuzay » Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:45 pm

Hi, please prepare an invitation letter for her either in English or Finnish where you explain all the details of her visit.
This could be very helpful if she won't be able to explain by herself and will increase her chances to pass the border.

Good luck!

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:57 pm

ferryto wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:22 pm
I am from Chile and have a student resident permit. Currently I'm in Finland and my wife wants to visit me in Finland, stay for some days and get back to Chile. She is chilean, so she doesnt need visa for entering schengen area. In this case, taking into account the current pandemic situation, can she visit me in finland with only her passport (she doesnt have not residence permit). How is the proccess?
Tomorrow or in a few weeks?
Whatever rules apply today might be irrelevant in a month.

The pandemic started a year ago, but the government still lacks any kind of long-term planning to the extend that it announces on Sunday afternoon which restaurants have to close on Monday.

Prime Minister Sanna Marin says she wants a quarantine requirement for people entering the country, but it is unpredictable what her government will actually do.

ferryto

Post by ferryto » Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:51 pm

Plans changed... So, I booked my ticket to Chile and am going to travel with her back to Finland in a month. In this case, what do you recommend?
Last edited by ferryto on Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

AngelaG

Post by AngelaG » Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:19 am

I wisited my partner this spring and they easily let me in (the relationship was an accepted reason; we are not married). Anyway, it seemed the rules had changed overnight, so just before my second flight, in Amsterdam, they didn't want to let me on board, and I had to give a ton of personal details about my partner and me. It was tiring and unpleasant, but it worked. At the Finnish border things were just smooth. So, in my experience, this is partly plain luck. Rules, in my country as in Finland, change continuously and can't cover the whole spectrum of life situations. I knew I had to take the chance, so I did. As for safety: I took three tests (two days before travelling, at the airport and the day after my arrival) and quarantined for the first days with my partner. Now, if you're vaccinated, this is not so hard.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:20 pm

AngelaG wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:19 am
I wisited my partner this spring and they easily let me in (the relationship was an accepted reason; we are not married). Anyway, it seemed the rules had changed overnight, so just before my second flight, in Amsterdam, they didn't want to let me on board, and I had to give a ton of personal details about my partner and me. It was tiring and unpleasant, but it worked. At the Finnish border things were just smooth.
Have you ever wondered how the EU achieves that refugees who would have been entitled to asylum in the EU drown in the Mediterranean after paying a fortune for getting a place on the raft, instead of buying a cheap plane ticket to the EU?

Airlines have to ensure that everyone they carry is permitted into the destination country, otherwise they have to take the passenger back and pay a fine.

AngelaG

Post by AngelaG » Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:26 pm

Yes, everyone knows what the airlines' job is. And my funny and puzzling experience with travelling, during a pandemic, as everyone else's, is not meant as an insult to people who can't enter the EU. That was a big leap.
I simply pointed out that even airports' officers are not always sure what to do with rules that shift so fast and, most of all, put under the same few categories all types of different situations.
I know this is the internet, but there's no need to get enraged at each other using other people as a flag. Nothing good out of that.

AldenG

Post by AldenG » Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:46 pm

I wonder how things worked out for the OP.

Now (3 months later) the situation is dire in Chile and all of South America. In fact, Chile is in the highest category of Covid-19 prevalence, is in a government-declared state of emergency until Sept 2021, and mostly isn't letting people in or out of the country.

The information on the page I'm linking to is intended for American citizens, but it includes relevant details on the pandemic status in Chile and the government's response, including draconian measures applying to Chilean citizens and residents of Chile as well as other travelers. It looks like a Chilean citizen residing abroad can still enter Chile but will then require an exceptional permit to exit the country and return to their expat home, quite apart from Schengen policy.
Beginning April 5, Chilean citizens and residents of Chile will be required to request a permit from the Comisaría Virtual in order to depart Chile. The government of Chile has informed that such permits will be granted only in exceptional circumstances. Non-resident foreigners continue to be allowed to depart Chile. Non-resident foreigners will not be allowed to enter Chile, but will be allowed to depart.
(Additional rrstrictions apply.)

It's bad enough to be separated from a loved one. It could be worse to get stuck in limbo away from home and studies when one's life for the time being is in Finland.

https://cl.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/

I hope this couple researched everything they needed to know before traveling to meet, and that it all worked out okay for them.
As he persisted, I was obliged to tootle him gently at first and then, seeing no improvement, to trumpet him vigorously with my horn.