RP for Spouse 2021 (Other Nationals)

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
FinlandGirl

Re: RP for Spouse 2021 (Other Nationals)

Post by FinlandGirl » Sun May 16, 2021 2:41 pm

jvihrea wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 2:28 am
I just applied this week and then discovered the Migir posting. The wait from US may be as long as February 2022.
That's an expected average time, not even a maximum.
It can take more than a year to get a decision on a residence permit based on family ties (no matter whether applied from abroad or from Finland).
jvihrea wrote:
We have a lot of family in Finland and are not likely to fly back to the US until 2022-23. We are anxious to get over to FI and set up our household. Given that, we'd rather sell of in the US and head on over.
Sounds reasonable to me.
jvihrea wrote:
The way I read the Migri posting.I can apply from Helsinki and then wait for my RP without worrying about violating the Schengen treaty (90 day stays every 180 days).
Yes, you can stay in Finland after the 90 days expired.
Travelling to other countries (Schengen or not) is not allowed after the 90 days have expired.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Sun May 16, 2021 7:01 pm

FinlandGirl wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 2:41 pm
jvihrea wrote:
The way I read the Migri posting.I can apply from Helsinki and then wait for my RP without worrying about violating the Schengen treaty (90 day stays every 180 days).
Yes, you can stay in Finland after the 90 days expired.
Travelling to other countries (Schengen or not) is not allowed after the 90 days have expired.
” You can travel from Finland to a country outside the Schengen Area while your residence permit application is being processed. Take your certificate of pending application from the Finnish Immigration Service with you.”

https://raja.fi/en/frequently-asked-que ... out-travel

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Sun May 16, 2021 7:06 pm

jvihrea wrote:
Thanks for the response, Finland Girl. I just applied this week and then discovered the Migir posting. The wait from US may be as long as February 2022. I don't want to miss this seller's market in the US.
This could also be dealt with by temporarily renting.
jvihrea wrote:
Have other US citizens stayed over 90 days while waiting for the RP?
My previous quote was from the visa required section but it’s basically the same for visa free citizens.

” If you no longer have any visa-exempt time remaining, you can travel from Finland directly to a country outside the Schengen Area and return from outside the Schengen Area directly to Finland. Take your certificate of pending application from the Finnish Immigration Service with you.”

jvihrea

Post by jvihrea » Sun May 16, 2021 9:37 pm

Thanks Betelgeuse and FG.

I can hardly wait to get over there.

Jaska

jvihrea

Post by jvihrea » Sun May 16, 2021 9:57 pm

Thanks Betelgeuse and FG.

I can hardly wait to get over there.

jvihrea

Post by jvihrea » Thu May 27, 2021 2:20 am

Quick Update...

I received my approval for an RP after only two weeks! I was both stunned and delighted.

Jaska

Kinghypo

Post by Kinghypo » Fri May 28, 2021 1:38 pm

UPDATE:
My spouse went for biometric in January. On Monday supplementary was asked. I replied and responded to the supplementary yesterday. Today got a positive decision.

Souka

Post by Souka » Sun May 30, 2021 11:34 am

Kinghypo
Congratulations for the news , enjoy your summer with your partner . I m happy for you

Kinghypo

Post by Kinghypo » Mon May 31, 2021 9:54 pm

Souka wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 11:34 am
Kinghypo
Congratulations for the news , enjoy your summer with your partner . I m happy for you
Thank you. I appreciate

Souka

Post by Souka » Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:52 am

Rambo009 wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:26 am
Hi Souka,

Thanks for the reply, hopefully we will get the decision soon. I wish you all the best :thumbsup:
Hi did you recive a decision ?

Kuzay

Post by Kuzay » Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:43 am

Went for the biometry on June 3, now 656th in the queue.

sra

Post by sra » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:42 pm

For us migri processing jumped from 3-4 months (as advised at biometric appointment in March 2021 (in Finland)) to now *9 months*....about tripled processing time.... 680 still ahead of us in the queue. This is disappointing, because I expect Finnish efficiency!

Question 1: Has anyone managed to work out approximate number of applications processed per month / week? I think our case is super-simple, all the evidence should be there.

Question 2: What happens to the application if I (Finnish) have to move to another EU country for studies, but do not officially change my address? Can we keep the application going by me "commuting" to Finland? I need to know whether or not to accept the study place, which is a good opportunity for me. I realise commuting in Covid times may not be so simple.

Question 3: If the above is not possible, has anyone tried going to another EU country, starting a new RP or EU family member application there, and then later returned to Finland to make a new RP application when the commitment in that country ends? Is it a problem if we cancel the current application? Does it count against us or look strange in future applications? I am only asking because we already cancelled once (made a RP application due to being stuck in Finland due to Covid restrictions, then were able to leave nevertheless, and cancelled the application because that is what I thought we had to do - now, more than a year later, if it had been possible to keep the first application, it would have been brilliant!

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:28 pm

sra wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:42 pm
Question 2: What happens to the application if I (Finnish) have to move to another EU country for studies, but do not officially change my address? Can we keep the application going by me "commuting" to Finland? I need to know whether or not to accept the study place, which is a good opportunity for me. I realise commuting in Covid times may not be so simple.
Your spouse would get a RP for living with you in Finland.
When you move your residence to another country after your spouse was granted the RP it will be cancelled.
It does also not make sense for you that your spouse lives in Finland while you are away.
sra wrote:
Question 3: If the above is not possible, has anyone tried going to another EU country, starting a new RP or EU family member application there, and then later returned to Finland to make a new RP application when the commitment in that country ends?
When you move to another EU country for studies, you both can register your EU right of residence there and receive it immediately.
When you both move back to Finland after your studies, your spouse can register the EU right of residence in Finland and receive it immediately.
sra wrote:
Is it a problem if we cancel the current application? Does it count against us or look strange in future applications? I am only asking because we already cancelled once (made a RP application due to being stuck in Finland due to Covid restrictions, then were able to leave nevertheless, and cancelled the application because that is what I thought we had to do - now, more than a year later, if it had been possible to keep the first application, it would have been brilliant!
Having twice cancelled a RP application because life changed while waiting for a decision is not a valid reason for a rejection.

sra

Post by sra » Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:56 pm

Thank you FinlandGirl. I agree it is the most reasonable course of action to just go and re-apply for a RP in country B.

But, although I have received some assurance that we will be able to enter another EU country despite the visa-free period being exceeded, I am still nervous.

Is it possible we will end up in a situation where he 1) leaves Finland with a certificate of pending application 2) gets rejected at the next EU country's border, despite being a family member of me (Finnish citizen) and having overstayed the 90 days legally (because of the pending application), and then 3) is unable to re-renter Finland and has to leave Schengen because of all this? I would be willing to commute between countries just to avoid this awful ordeal.

The migri site mentions an applicant can exit Schengen (i.e. go to Russia) and come back to Finland with the pending application certificate - but going for an extra trip to Russia during COVID and maybe get stuck there would serve no useful purpose for us. It does not say anything about leaving Finland and going to another EU country with pending application status. I have called migri and they cannot make me any wiser on this question either....
Kuzay wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:43 am
Went for the biometry on June 3, now 656th in the queue.
Kuzay, how is it possible that we, who went for biometrics on the 23rd of March, are well behind you in the queue? Is it really a good old honest Finnish queue with no hidden rules, skipping or elbowing?

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:55 am

sra wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:56 pm
I agree it is the most reasonable course of action to just go and re-apply for a RP in country B.
Not RP, in country B you can both register your EU right of residence.
sra wrote:
But, although I have received some assurance that we will be able to enter another EU country despite the visa-free period being exceeded, I am still nervous.

Is it possible we will end up in a situation where he 1) leaves Finland with a certificate of pending application 2) gets rejected at the next EU country's border, despite being a family member of me (Finnish citizen) and having overstayed the 90 days legally (because of the pending application), and then 3) is unable to re-renter Finland and has to leave Schengen because of all this?
You didn't mention before that your spouse entered Finland again after leaving.
The concern about potential practical problems is valid.
sra wrote:
I would be willing to commute between countries just to avoid this awful ordeal.
When borders close again in autumn due to COVID, will country B let you enter when you are not a citizen and not a resident of that country?
There are also other potential problems like your university or landlord in country B asking for a registration you cannot yet do.
The proper way without risking accidental breaking of laws is to figure out how you can both move from Finland to country B instead of trying such residence tricks.
sra wrote:
The migri site mentions an applicant can exit Schengen (i.e. go to Russia) and come back to Finland with the pending application certificate - but going for an extra trip to Russia during COVID and maybe get stuck there would serve no useful purpose for us.
I don't see how a trip to Russia would make any difference, unless your spouse stays there for at least 90 days.
sra wrote:
It does not say anything about leaving Finland and going to another EU country with pending application status. I have called migri and they cannot make me any wiser on this question either....
Travelling as a tourist would not be permitted, but your spouse has the right to move with you to country B.
You have to ask the border guard of country B how this is being handled in practice.