RP for intimate relationship, were you successful?

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Clair

Post by Clair » Mon May 17, 2021 7:04 pm

Hi there, I am seeking advice for this residents permit I am due to apply for. Main queries are;
1. What documents did you submit and in what format?
2. What kind of information do they look for in the statement of dating relationship?
3. Did you have any follow up questions? If so, what were they?
4. Is the start date flexible? (I am currently selling my house so would like to move once this is done if successful). If so, do you just write this as a note on the form?
5. Is there anything else you know of that will help my application be more successful?

Thank you in advance!

P.S. I have searched the forums and read everything I could find so far.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinlandGirl

Re: RP for intimate relationship, were you successful?

Post by FinlandGirl » Mon May 17, 2021 9:04 pm

Clair wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 7:04 pm
4. Is the start date flexible? (I am currently selling my house so would like to move once this is done if successful). If so, do you just write this as a note on the form?
The expected processing time for your RP is 9-12 months, but if this is too early for you the form contains a question "When do you intend to move to Finland?" where you can enter a later date.

There is also not a strict requirement to move within a certain number of days after a positive decision, if you get your residence permit in April 2022 valid immediately and move in June 2022 that should be OK.

NukkuMatti

Post by NukkuMatti » Mon May 17, 2021 9:26 pm

Clair wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 7:04 pm
5. Is there anything else you know of that will help my application be more successful?
Get married
You are serious about it when you are already selling your house...then better get married, this will make everything easier.
Get married on a tourist visa in Finland... (make sure you have all papers with apostille stamps with you, that prove you are not married already).

But as a point of caution:
Relationships have the tendency of going south in at least 50% of the marriages in Finland, and I am not even starting about non marriage relationships.
Think real hard if you want to burn your ships behind you (selling your house).
And if you have not been living in your house for 2 years while owning it, be ready to pay 30% tax on the profit in Finland if you sell it in the tax year you get to Finland and become Finnish Tax resident...(oh and 34% over everything more than 30.000€).

Good luck.. hope you find your happiness here.. (I did :wink: ).

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Mon May 17, 2021 9:54 pm

NukkuMatti wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 9:26 pm
And if you have not been living in your house for 2 years while owning it, be ready to pay 30% tax on the profit in Finland if you sell it in the tax year you get to Finland and become Finnish Tax resident...
This is not true.

NukkuMatti

Post by NukkuMatti » Fri May 21, 2021 9:30 pm

FinlandGirl wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 9:54 pm
NukkuMatti wrote:
And if you have not been living in your house for 2 years while owning it, be ready to pay 30% tax on the profit in Finland if you sell it in the tax year you get to Finland and become Finnish Tax resident...
This is not true.
Weird, the Finnish tax office seemed to think so... I got part of the sale of my grandmothers house which I partly owned in the year I got to Finland.. and had to pay capital income tax over the full amount that was sold and owned by me (paid 13.000€ tax) because I owned it but never lived in it as an owner...

Guess according to you I should ask my 13.000€ back from Vero... that would be cool, please explain!!!

https://www.vero.fi/en/individuals/hous ... your_home/

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Fri May 21, 2021 11:41 pm

NukkuMatti wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 9:30 pm
FinlandGirl wrote:
NukkuMatti wrote:
This is not true.
Weird, the Finnish tax office seemed to think so... I got part of the sale of my grandmothers house which I partly owned in the year I got to Finland.. and had to pay capital income tax over the full amount that was sold and owned by me (paid 13.000€ tax) because I owned it but never lived in it as an owner...

Guess according to you I should ask my 13.000€ back from Vero... that would be cool, please explain!!!
If it was sold on or after the day when you moved to Finland, then it is correct that you had to pay Finnish taxes.

The OP plans to sell the house before moving to Finland. Vero does not want money in that case.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Sat May 22, 2021 9:22 am

FinlandGirl wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 11:41 pm
NukkuMatti wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 9:30 pm
FinlandGirl wrote:

This is not true.

If it was sold on or after the day when you moved to Finland, then it is correct that you had to pay Finnish taxes.

The OP plans to sell the house before moving to Finland. Vero does not want money in that case.
And in the case of being tax resident, tax treaties following the OECD default model limit the taxes paid to Finland to avoid double taxation.

NukkuMatti

Post by NukkuMatti » Sat May 22, 2021 11:32 pm

betelgeuse wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 9:22 am
And in the case of being tax resident, tax treaties following the OECD default model limit the taxes paid to Finland to avoid double taxation.
I did not pay taxes in country of origin, that is correct!

Treaties are also sadly not always following the default model... :cry: even within Europe, I guess my MP's have been in Sauna with blond Finnish girls and a lot of pontikka, before they signed the treaty..