From UK to Finland action list:

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Chaser

Post by Chaser » Sun May 23, 2021 2:26 pm

Hi all,

Looking to move to Finland with my Finnish national Wife from the UK (I'm British). I'm sure it's in various topics but looking to collate them clearly for what we would need to do prior to moving to Finland. Forms, registrations etc. If anyone can help collate this minefield that would be very much appreciated.

Also I'm an Electrician and if anyone has some great links or contacts to get my qualifications transferred that would be amazing!

Kittos

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

inkku

Re: From UK to Finland action list:

Post by inkku » Sun May 23, 2021 5:28 pm

Just recently there was a thread about foreign educated electricians' qualifications, search for that.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Sun May 23, 2021 7:01 pm

Chaser wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 2:26 pm
Looking to move to Finland with my Finnish national Wife from the UK (I'm British). I'm sure it's in various topics but looking to collate them clearly for what we would need to do prior to moving to Finland. Forms, registrations etc. If anyone can help collate this minefield that would be very much appreciated.
https://migri.fi/en/spouse-is-a-finnish-citizen

You can apply for the residence permit after moving to Finland, but then you don't have the right to work before your residence permit has been granted.

If you want to have the right to work immediately after moving to Finland, you should apply for the residence permit a year before your move to get the decision in time for your move.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Sun May 23, 2021 10:19 pm

FinlandGirl wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 7:01 pm
Chaser wrote:

You can apply for the residence permit after moving to Finland, but then you don't have the right to work before your residence permit has been granted.

If you want to have the right to work immediately after moving to Finland, you should apply for the residence permit a year before your move to get the decision in time for your move.
A residence permit should only be considered secondary option to registering right of residence based on free movement rights. Given Brexit is still recent, it's likely that point 4 here applies.

https://migri.fi/en/registration-of-right-of-residence

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Sun May 23, 2021 10:56 pm

betelgeuse wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 10:19 pm
FinlandGirl wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 7:01 pm
Chaser wrote:

A residence permit should only be considered secondary option to registering right of residence based on free movement rights. Given Brexit is still recent, it's likely that point 4 here applies.

https://migri.fi/en/registration-of-right-of-residence
Are there existing decisions or case law that this applies to having lived together in a country that is no longer an EU member state?

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Mon May 24, 2021 12:42 am

FinlandGirl wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 10:56 pm
Are there existing decisions or case law that this applies to having lived together in a country that is no longer an EU member state?
Aliens Act section 153: "The chapter applies to family members of a Finnish citizen if the Finnish citizen has exercised his or her right of free movement under the Free Movement Directive by settling in another Member State, and the family member accompanies him or her to Finland or joins him or her later."

https://www.finlex.fi/fi/laki/kaannokse ... 040301.pdf

I don't know whether there is case law but given the quite clear wording I don't see why there would need to be. It's the situation at the time of the Finnish citizen moving (and then while living in another member state) that matters. That the member state has since exited (and the transition period ended) seems irrelevant. It's also worth nothing that those under the personal scope of the withdrawal agreement retain the residence rights given by the free movement directive (2004/38/EC).

jaatelo

Post by jaatelo » Sat May 29, 2021 3:19 pm

Chaser wrote:
Looking to move to Finland with my Finnish national Wife from the UK (I'm British).
Also I'm an Electrician and if anyone has some great links or contacts to get my qualifications transferred that would be amazing!
Before moving consider this:

1) Brexit has made immigration more difficult to other EU countries, unless you apply under the withdrawal agreement (ask migri.fi about it).

2) You won't have a right to work until you get a resident permit based on having a Finnish spouse. This could take up to 1 year.

3) Electricians in Finland need a competence certificate before they can start work. I am not sure if this exam can be taken in English language but check the link below.

https://www.seti.fi/en/electrical-works ... in-finland

4) You will probably have a difficult time obtaining work like every other English speaking person without the knowledge of Finnish language.

jaatelo

Post by jaatelo » Sat May 29, 2021 3:54 pm

Chaser wrote:
See also:

https://www.seti.fi/en/recognition-of-q ... mber-state

A Finnish certificate of electrical qualification (supervisor of electrical works) can be issued to a European Union citizen when:

The applicant has been employed in EU Member State for six consecutive years as a self-employed basis as an electrical contractor or as a supervisor of electrical works for an electrical contractor;

If you are still considered "An EU Citizen" under the withdrawal agreement ( (brexit) and have 6 years of experience in electrical works then my suggestion would be to claim this certificate of qualification in Finland as soon as possible.

When Brexit is fully in force, you could be throwing away 6 years of experience in your field of work.
Last edited by jaatelo on Sat May 29, 2021 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jaatelo

Post by jaatelo » Sat May 29, 2021 4:17 pm

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Sat May 29, 2021 5:23 pm

jaatelo wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 3:19 pm
Chaser wrote:
Looking to move to Finland with my Finnish national Wife from the UK (I'm British).
Before moving consider this:

1) Brexit has made immigration more difficult to other EU countries, unless you apply under the withdrawal agreement (ask migri.fi about it).
There’s no reason to think he would be covered by the withdrawal agreement.
jaatelo wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 3:19 pm
2) You won't have a right to work until you get a resident permit based on having a Finnish spouse. This could take up to 1 year.
Read my previous comments.

jaatelo

Post by jaatelo » Sat May 29, 2021 7:30 pm

betelgeuse wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 5:23 pm
I don't need to, I give advice independent of your comments. I find your comments to be based entirely on theory.

I would personally advise a pigeon to migrate in the direction of the wind, but the wind is blowing against the pigeon in this particular case.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Sat May 29, 2021 10:30 pm

jaatelo wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 7:30 pm
betelgeuse wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 5:23 pm
I don't need to, I give advice independent of your comments. I find your comments to be based entirely on theory.

I would personally advise a pigeon to migrate in the direction of the wind, but the wind is blowing against the pigeon in this particular case.
You seem to have quite the trouble making up your mind about the quality of my comments.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102236&p=595398#p595409

jaatelo

Post by jaatelo » Sun May 30, 2021 12:28 am

betelgeuse wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 10:30 pm
You seem to have quite the trouble making up your mind about the quality of my comments.
Your comments are accurate in the sense of the law, in a manner of how a judge or a lawyer would perceive a case in theory according to some section of the law. My comments are based on how a migrant should approach their new life in a practical sense -- with some leeway into the law.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Sun May 30, 2021 1:11 am

jaatelo wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 12:28 am
betelgeuse wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 10:30 pm
Your comments are accurate in the sense of the law, in a manner of how a judge or a lawyer would perceive a case in theory according to some section of the law. My comments are based on how a migrant should approach their new life in a practical sense -- with some leeway into the law.
Your approach results in unnecessarily waiting for many months and wasting hundreds of euros on application fees.

jaatelo

Post by jaatelo » Sun May 30, 2021 1:26 am

betelgeuse wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 1:11 am
Your approach results in unnecessarily waiting for many months and wasting hundreds of euros on application fees.
I agree with you that the British citizen here should first seek to register his right of residence as an eu citizen and only use a "resident permit" as a secondary option. If you read my post carefully, I advise him to contact migri and ask whether Finland is treating British citizens as EU citizens at the moment. There is no disagreement here.