Moving to Finland, again! 🤣 Anyone else do this?

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Fozzy79

Post by Fozzy79 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:34 pm

So I have dual nationality (English/Finnish) and I previously lived in Tampere and was there for 4 years 2011-2015.

My daughter is planning to study at Uni in either Helsinki or Turku and we are thinking of moving back to Finland again as a family in 2023.

Has anyone else done this?
Just wanting some experience from people that have moved to Finland, left and then returned again.

I studied Finnish (my mum never spoke Finnish to me) and then went on to study lahihoitajaks so I know I can get work there. I do have a slight concern about my English husbands Finnish language skills and wondered whether the migri would offer maahanmuutaja package again (language & courses) or whether it’s a get it once only situation.

We are also thinking of moving closer to Helsinki or Turku and wondered what people’s opinions were about the main differences or the pros and cons of each area.

Any comments/advice welcome.

Thanks

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinlandGirl

Re: Moving to Finland, again! 🤣 Anyone else do this?

Post by FinlandGirl » Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:53 pm

Fozzy79 wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:34 pm
So I have dual nationality (English/Finnish) and I previously lived in Tampere and was there for 4 years 2011-2015.

My daughter is planning to study at Uni in either Helsinki or Turku and we are thinking of moving back to Finland again as a family in 2023.
Will your daughter still want to live with you as a family at that point?
Usually starting university is when adult children move out from their family.

Are her planned studies offered in English?
If not, does she have sufficient language skills in Finnish or Swedish?
Fozzy79 wrote:
I do have a slight concern about my English husbands Finnish language skills and wondered whether the migri would offer maahanmuutaja package again (language & courses) or whether it’s a get it once only situation.
That's not Migri, it is a service from the employment office for unemployed jobseekers.
For definite answers ask TE, in any case they can approve further language studies after he registered as unemployed.
I would recommend he already refreshes his language skills during the next 2 years.
Fozzy79 wrote:
We are also thinking of moving closer to Helsinki or Turku and wondered what people’s opinions were about the main differences or the pros and cons of each area.

Any comments/advice welcome.
Helsinki is the big city, Turku is smaller than Tampere.

In what profession does your husband work, and what kind of job did he have when you previously lived in Finland?

Where will your daughter manage to get a study place?

browndude

Re: Moving to Finland, again! 🤣 Anyone else do this?

Post by browndude » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:08 pm

Regarding the language skills, if he has the time and funds, your spouse can be pro-active and sign-up for Finnish courses already. Waiting for the TE office to place him in a language class is not the best use of your time since he might have to wait quite a while before he gets a place and he might end up in a class where there might be varying levels of motivation to actually learn.
ImageImage