municipality of residence

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Shoyu

Post by Shoyu » Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:23 am

Hi all,

I'm going to Finland as a master degree student soon, meaning I'll be staying in Finland at least for 2 years.

Do I need to get the municipality of residence?

This website [https://dvv.fi/en/foreigner-registration] says that the following is one of the preconditions that you have to meet to get the municipality of residence.
"You are a citizen of another country and you have a temporary (B) residence permit, which is valid and entitles you to stay for at least one year and, considering your circumstances as a whole, you intend to stay in Finland permanently."

I'm originally from Asia btw.

Since my master degree lasts only for 2 years, am I not entitled to have the municipality of residence...?

Let me know if you were/are in a similar situation as mine and have experience applying for the municipality of residence.

Thank you in advance!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: municipality of residence

Post by betelgeuse » Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:21 am

Shoyu wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:23 am
Hi all,

I'm going to Finland as a master degree student soon, meaning I'll be staying in Finland at least for 2 years.

This website [https://dvv.fi/en/foreigner-registration] says that the following is one of the preconditions that you have to meet to get the municipality of residence.
"You are a citizen of another country and you have a temporary (B) residence permit, which is valid and entitles you to stay for at least one year and, considering your circumstances as a whole, you intend to stay in Finland permanently."

Since my master degree lasts only for 2 years, am I not entitled to have the municipality of residence...?

Let me know if you were/are in a similar situation as mine and have experience applying for the municipality of residence.

Thank you in advance!
You don’t need to but a municipality of residence is useful. Without it, one can’t for example get resident discounts from public transport tickets.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:56 pm

betelgeuse wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:21 am
Shoyu wrote:
You don’t need to but a municipality of residence is useful. Without it, one can’t for example get resident discounts from public transport tickets.
That's a weird example, usually student discounts are better than discounts for residents.

Differences in healthcare are more likely to be relevant.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:58 pm

Shoyu wrote:

The answer to your question is on the same DVV page, two lines below then line you quoted.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:21 am

FinlandGirl wrote:
betelgeuse wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:21 am
Shoyu wrote:
That's a weird example, usually student discounts are better than discounts for residents.
” If you live permanently in the HSL area in the HSL area and you are a full-time student, you can buy season tickets at a 45% discount.”

https://www.hsl.fi/en/tickets-and-fares ... t-discount

I assume this means they check the municipality of residence.
FinlandGirl wrote: Differences in healthcare are more likely to be relevant.
Access to municipality healthcare is a difference but primarly one would use YTHS as a student.

Shoyu

Post by Shoyu » Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:27 am

Thanks, everyone.

So basically it means that you can get a municipality of residence if you are staying in Finland for at least two years,
but it's up to you if you take it or not.

Well, then at least I will give it a try!