Moving to Finland with Finnish passport

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
rebekka.y

Post by rebekka.y » Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:39 pm

Hello, I am in Finland and have moved from the UK recently. I have a Finnish passport (+and Irish passport, both EU) and I have family here, but I'm confused about how to register that I live here etc. ( I was born in the UK and have never had a permanent address / bank account here)

I don't have a bank account yet as appointments take a while to get, and one bank I had an appointment with to open account said they didn't do that there etc.. I have another appointment soon but it might take a while to get my e-codes. Without them I can't register my change of address online, so I think I can go to the post office, even if I don't have a previous address here? As in, I might not be on the system. In that case I think I have to go to Digi office, I already had an appointment but it turned out to the the wrong type..

So I'm a bit stressed about the process, and also for opening an account I'm hoping it will be ok with my family's address, although I don't have proof that I live there. I'm looking at flats now, but would like all the paperwork done asap.

Also in terms of getting the vaccine here, I phoned them up but haven't got the call back yet, and not sure if I need a Kela card before, as that might take a while to process too. (if it helps I do speak finnish )
If anyone has any info / has done this before, let me know!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: Moving to Finland with Finnish passport

Post by betelgeuse » Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:07 pm

rebekka.y wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:39 pm
Hello, I am in Finland and have moved from the UK recently. I have a Finnish passport (+and Irish passport, both EU) and I have family here, but I'm confused about how to register that I live here etc. ( I was born in the UK and have never had a permanent address / bank account here)

I don't have a bank account yet as appointments take a while to get, and one bank I had an appointment with to open account said they didn't do that there etc.. I have another appointment soon but it might take a while to get my e-codes. Without them I can't register my change of address online, so I think I can go to the post office, even if I don't have a previous address here? As in, I might not be on the system. In that case I think I have to go to Digi office, I already had an appointment but it turned out to the the wrong type..
” Please note: From November 2, 2020, paper forms can only be picked up from or submitted to a service point of Posti or the Digital and Population Data Services Agency. The identity of the person submitting the form will be verified.”

https://www.posti.fi/en/private/change-address

Mobile operators could be a faster way to get online authentication working. It should be possible with a walk-in.
rebekka.y wrote:

So I'm a bit stressed about the process, and also for opening an account I'm hoping it will be ok with my family's address, although I don't have proof that I live there. I'm looking at flats now, but would like all the paperwork done asap.
Your entry in the population register (once processed) is the generally used proof of address.
rebekka.y wrote:

Also in terms of getting the vaccine here, I phoned them up but haven't got the call back yet, and not sure if I need a Kela card before, as that might take a while to process too. (if it helps I do speak finnish )
If anyone has any info / has done this before, let me know!
The vaccines are provided by your municipality of residence so might have to wait for the move notification to be processed.

rebekka.y

Re: Moving to Finland with Finnish passport

Post by rebekka.y » Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:54 pm

[/quote]

The vaccines are provided by your municipality of residence so might have to wait for the move notification to be processed.
[/quote]

Thanks so much!