Moving from the UK - i have several options, which is best?

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
hbar

Re: Moving from the UK - i have several options, which is best?

Post by hbar » Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:35 pm

betelgeuse wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:32 pm
hbar wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:33 pm
I take it i'm not allowed to count income from another country? Say i have several thousand per year coming in from a business in another country, i can't count that because it's not coming from a Finnish registered business?
It doesn’t matter which country supplemental income is from as long as it can be transferred to Finland.
So does that not mean i could earn say, 2000 euro a month from a job in Finland but 1000 euro from outside of Finland and count that as my entire total, thus allowing me to get a visa but for a lower paying job?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:49 pm

hbar wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:19 pm
FinlandGirl wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:35 pm

Moving for studies is the most realistic option, but it requires you to pass the entrance examination and make sufficient progress during your studies.
Yes i agree this would make the most sense.

I take it one has to do an entrance exam for any study in Finland? Any idea what those are like? I have equivalent qualifications to be able to attend uni in the UK
Qualification to attend university is a mandatory requirement, but most studies in Finland have more applicants than places and the universities needs something to select their students from the applicants.
hbar wrote:
but it would be great to know in advance if there's an exam.
https://studyinfo.fi/wp2/en/higher-educ ... d-masters/
hbar wrote:
Lastly i know you showed me the chart and added up from the two different pages what i would need to show as 'support' money to study in Finland, but do you have any more concrete sources that show the amount specific to one who is studying? What i mean is the data for 'adult' + 'child 1' + 'child 2' + 'child 3' etc was taken from one page but the calculation of X euro per month for me was taken from another. Any idea if there is a student specific page showing this all in one place so i can clarify?
It was in an older version of the Migri webpage.
You could ask Migri to be sure, but based on what you wrote so far I am wondering why you care about this since having enough money does not seem to be a real problem for you - especially for the first application when you have the money for the house in your bank account.
hbar wrote:
Also is there any advantage with me being a fully paying student when it comes to enrollment? I know in some UK universities they like international students since they pay more.
Whether or not one has to pay tuition fees depends on the citizenship and residence status at the beginning of the study year.
This can change between study years, and even between getting the admission results and the relevant date for the first payment.
It is not relevant for admission decisions.

hbar

Post by hbar » Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:00 pm

FinlandGirl wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:49 pm

It was in an older version of the Migri webpage.
You could ask Migri to be sure, but based on what you wrote so far I am wondering why you care about this since having enough money does not seem to be a real problem for you - especially for the first application when you have the money for the house in your bank account.
Yes i have money but it's all invested so i'd have to know way in advance so i could liquidate some assets. :)

I thank you for all your work in helping me understand this FinlandGirl (and to you betelgeuse) it's been very helpful.

I think studying would be the easiest route into the country. As my wife would have the right to work and the kids could attend school, it seems a no brainer since 4 years would give us ample time to sort out employment to make the move more permanent.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:08 pm

hbar wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:35 pm
So does that not mean i could earn say, 2000 euro a month from a job in Finland but 1000 euro from outside of Finland and count that as my entire total, thus allowing me to get a visa but for a lower paying job?
That line of discussion misses the problem.

Noone will offer you a 2000 Euro job.

A company would have to consider you the best applicant for a position.
The company would have to be willing to wait up to 4 months after the job offer for you to get a decision on your residence permit application for this job.
The decision will be negative if the employment office thinks there might be jobseekers available who could do the job instead of you.

Minimum salary for an office cleaner is 1774 Euro, companies are not hiring from abroad for this kind of lower paying no-skills jobs with plenty of local jobseekers available.

hbar

Post by hbar » Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:18 pm

FinlandGirl wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:08 pm
hbar wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:35 pm
That line of discussion misses the problem.

Noone will offer you a 2000 Euro job.

A company would have to consider you the best applicant for a position.
The company would have to be willing to wait up to 4 months after the job offer for you to get a decision on your residence permit application for this job.
The decision will be negative if the employment office thinks there might be jobseekers available who could do the job instead of you.

Minimum salary for an office cleaner is 1774 Euro, companies are not hiring from abroad for this kind of lower paying no-skills jobs with plenty of local jobseekers available.
So to put the problem another way, if my minimum after tax salary had to be 2900 euro, but i can find a job paying only 2600 euro after tax, could i then use say 300 euro from some other venture to add to my total?

Ok so now you put it like that it seems coming to study and finding work before the end of the studies is definitely the best play.

Just have to get some money moved around and hope i can get through the entry exams.

Thanks a lot for your advice it's really appreciated!

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:49 pm

hbar wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:18 pm
Ok so now you put it like that it seems coming to study and finding work before the end of the studies is definitely the best play.
The best play would be if you manage to get a job.

But any positions you could realistically land from abroad would be senior positions, with a higher salary than a junior position for a university graduate.
It's either high salary or no job for you, I don't see any realistic lower salary option.

If you fail to land a highly-paid senior position from abroad, then coming to study is the only remaining option for you.

hbar

Post by hbar » Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:51 pm

FinlandGirl wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:49 pm
hbar wrote:

But any positions you could realistically land from abroad would be senior positions, with a higher salary than a junior position for a university graduate.
It's either high salary or no job for you, I don't see any realistic lower salary option.

If you fail to land a highly-paid senior position from abroad, then coming to study is the only remaining option for you.
Ok but the two questions remain:

1. Can i add outside income to the salary in order to raise the level up above 2900 euros if the salary from the job doesn't quite cut it.
2. How am i going to know exactly what the right amount will be for a job before i know how much i will be taxed.

Seems like it would be easier to come to study since i could just apply for uni instead of needing to be given a job by someone.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:17 pm

hbar wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:51 pm
FinlandGirl wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:49 pm
hbar wrote:

Ok but the two questions remain:

1. Can i add outside income to the salary in order to raise the level up above 2900 euros if the salary from the job doesn't quite cut it.
2. How am i going to know exactly what the right amount will be for a job before i know how much i will be taxed.

Seems like it would be easier to come to study since i could just apply for uni instead of needing to be given a job by someone.
1) Yes (in practise it’s your family that does this in their applications)

2) Use the Vero calculator to work out after tax income. Before tax income in IT has a lot of variance (startups pay less than established companies etc).