First steps to look for work.

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
AngelaG

Post by AngelaG » Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:49 am

I'm moving to Finland as an EU citizen and will look for a job. I've been studying Swedish for a while but only now I'm picking up Finnish as well. My knowledge of Swedish is good enough to have simple conversations, not to work. I was an author in my mother tongue, which means, take that away, I'll be now an unqualified job seeker (I move for personal reasons). I often read on the web about training courses and guidance offered to job seekers, but nothing very specific. There is also an hint about Finnish classes. Helsinki's adult learners' programs offer quite cheap, intensive courses in Fin/Swe. I can afford not working for a few months. Is it better for me to enroll in such a course first, or just go to the employment offices and trust their guidance?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

heretostay

Re: First steps to look for work.

Post by heretostay » Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:00 am

Dont wait for employment office. Start courses immediately. The kesäyliopisto has great intensive courses.

FinlandGirl

Re: First steps to look for work.

Post by FinlandGirl » Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:47 pm

AngelaG wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:49 am
I'm moving to Finland as an EU citizen and will look for a job. I've been studying Swedish for a while but only now I'm picking up Finnish as well. My knowledge of Swedish is good enough to have simple conversations, not to work. I was an author in my mother tongue, which means, take that away, I'll be now an unqualified job seeker (I move for personal reasons). I often read on the web about training courses and guidance offered to job seekers, but nothing very specific. There is also an hint about Finnish classes.
https://www.te-palvelut.fi/jobseekers/s ... immigrants
AngelaG wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:49 am
Helsinki's adult learners' programs offer quite cheap, intensive courses in Fin/Swe.
Swedish without Finnish is useless for job search in Helsinki, while speaking Swedish can be a bonus the language you should learn is Finnish.