Any experiences in moving a non-EU child to Finland?

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
androidian90

Post by androidian90 » Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:58 pm

Hello,

I'm in the process of applying for a residence permit for a family member who is under 18, as their legal guardian. I'd like to know if anyone has had similar experiences with applying for a residence permit for a child, while the child resides in a non-EU country and the official guardian is living in Finland. I'd like to prepare for it as I cannot find much information on it.

The online application finder suggested the "Applying for a residence permit for a child", however, when it comes to booking a service point, it wouldn't give Finland as an option since I'm filling out the application from Finland. It is a bit confusing. So, I've booked an appointment with migri and planning to ask them since I cannot understand why it wouldn't give the service point in Finland.

It'd be great if I could learn about similar experiences from other cases and know what to expect from migri :)

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

actualbunnyvolunteer

Re: Any experiences in moving a non-EU child to Finland?

Post by actualbunnyvolunteer » Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:11 pm

I don't think it's different from any other residence permit. The applicant books an appointment in the country where they are currently living, so Migri can take their fingerprints. The child is living in Country X, you book an appointment for her in Country X, so Migri can take her fingerprints (done at the Finnish embassy/consulate in Country X).

FinlandGirl

Re: Any experiences in moving a non-EU child to Finland?

Post by FinlandGirl » Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:23 pm

androidian90 wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:58 pm
I'm in the process of applying for a residence permit for a family member who is under 18, as their legal guardian. I'd like to know if anyone has had similar experiences with applying for a residence permit for a child, while the child resides in a non-EU country and the official guardian is living in Finland. I'd like to prepare for it as I cannot find much information on it.

The online application finder suggested the "Applying for a residence permit for a child", however, when it comes to booking a service point, it wouldn't give Finland as an option since I'm filling out the application from Finland. It is a bit confusing. So, I've booked an appointment with migri and planning o ask them since I cannot understand why it wouldn't give the service point in Finland.
Migri wrote: Does the child, even a baby, have to be present in person when the application is submitted?

Yes, the child must be present when the application is submitted.