Applying for first RP extension: how early?

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
jperickson

Post by jperickson » Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:28 pm

I am living in Finland on my first family ties-based residence permit. It is valid for 1 year and expires in February 2022. Is anyone aware of when I can apply for my extension? Is it too early to do it now? My reading of the Migri website is that I could apply now and get it out of the way. But if someone has a negative experience with this, or if someone knows of an official policy on the issue, I would greatly appreciate it if you could let me know. My grounds for the permit have not changed.

https://migri.fi/en/application-for-an- ... amily-ties

Thank you!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

heretostay

Re: Applying for first RP extension: how early?

Post by heretostay » Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:14 pm

Has to be less than 90 days before permit expires.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:44 pm

heretostay wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:14 pm
Has to be less than 90 days before permit expires.
It’s not specified in legislation but in practise it’s best to follow Migri guidance.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:03 pm

jperickson wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:28 pm
I am living in Finland on my first family ties-based residence permit. It is valid for 1 year and expires in February 2022. Is anyone aware of when I can apply for my extension? Is it too early to do it now? My reading of the Migri website is that I could apply now and get it out of the way. But if someone has a negative experience with this, or if someone knows of an official policy on the issue, I would greatly appreciate it if you could let me know.
Migri wrote: we do not recommend that you apply for an extended permit earlier than three months before the expiry date of your residence permit. If you apply earlier, we may not necessarily be able to assess whether you meet the requirements for an extended residence permit and may be unable to grant the permit.

heretostay

Post by heretostay » Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:59 pm

Migri refused to accept my coworker’s extension application last year at an appointment 96 days before expiry. They were told it had to be less than 90 days. They arranged a day off work and traveled to another city for the appointment only to be turned away.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:30 pm

heretostay wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:59 pm
Migri refused to accept my coworker’s extension application last year at an appointment 96 days before expiry. They were told it had to be less than 90 days. They arranged a day off work and traveled to another city for the appointment only to be turned away.
This is illegal and should be reported to the Parliamentary Ombudsman. They are legally required to accept all applications at the desk (and then issue a written decision later).

agroot

Post by agroot » Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:14 pm

betelgeuse wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:30 pm
This is illegal and should be reported to the Parliamentary Ombudsman. They are legally required to accept all applications at the desk (and then issue a written decision later).
But if they accept it and make a negative decision because it's too early, wouldn't he just lose the application fee?

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:35 pm

agroot wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:14 pm
betelgeuse wrote:
But if they accept it and make a negative decision because it's too early, wouldn't he just lose the application fee?
It would be interesting to see what section of the law the decision would be based on. A negative decision would also be problematic because with at least citizenship decisions they have a policy of waiting to issue a decision until eligible (if applying close enough to that date).

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:41 pm

betelgeuse wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:35 pm
agroot wrote:
betelgeuse wrote:
It would be interesting to see what section of the law the decision would be based on. A negative decision would also be problematic because with at least citizenship decisions they have a policy of waiting to issue a decision until eligible (if applying close enough to that date).
You are saying Migri could not legally reject an application for extension submitted on the day when the first residence permit is granted?

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:51 pm

FinlandGirl wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:41 pm
betelgeuse wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:35 pm
agroot wrote:

You are saying Migri could not legally reject an application for extension submitted on the day when the first residence permit is granted?
It could be the case. However, there would be no benefit to it. Migri could just issue a new one with a similar validity period to the first one.