What is the best residence permit for me?

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Orestes1406

Post by Orestes1406 » Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:33 am

Hello. I am 17 years old and my girlfriend is 15, turning 16 really soon this month. She is Finnish, I am not. We have never been together in real life as we are a long distance couple. I want to move to Finland to live with her, what would be the best options for me? Thank you in advance.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: What is the best residence permit for me?

Post by betelgeuse » Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:35 am

Orestes1406 wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:33 am
Hello. I am 17 years old and my girlfriend is 15, turning 16 really soon this month. She is Finnish, I am not. We have never been together in real life as we are a long distance couple. I want to move to Finland to live with her, what would be the best options for me? Thank you in advance.
A student permit and family permit after becoming eligible.

jaatelo

Post by jaatelo » Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:20 am

Orestes1406 wrote:
This move to Finland to your 15 year old girlfriend is a bad idea.

You need to delete tiktok app from your phone.

And graduate high school and prepare to go to college in your own country.

heretostay

Post by heretostay » Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:52 am

Orestes1406 wrote:
Start with a student permit.

rinso

Post by rinso » Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:57 am

Orestes1406 wrote:
I am 17 years old and my girlfriend is 15, .......We have never been together in real life....... I want to move to Finland to live with her,
Can anyone see a disaster in the making?

jaatelo

Post by jaatelo » Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:14 am

rinso wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:57 am
Can anyone see a disaster in the making?
Boy: I have moved to Finland to be with my girlfriend that I have never met.

Girl: Nice to finally meet you but you look nothing like the photos you sent to me on snapchat.

Boy: We should apply for a resident permit.

Girl: No, my dad wants me to stay home and get a summer job.

Boy: But I spent all my pocket money to be with you.

Girl: Umm... I am back together with my ex-boyfriend. Sorry.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:07 pm

Orestes1406 wrote:
Hello. I am 17 years old and my girlfriend is 15, turning 16 really soon this month. She is Finnish, I am not. We have never been together in real life as we are a long distance couple. I want to move to Finland to live with her, what would be the best options for me?
Start by spending a vacation together where you visit her or she visits you.

jaatelo

Post by jaatelo » Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:17 pm

FinlandGirl wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:07 pm
How about not doing that because she is 15 years old and cannot consent to anything.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:54 pm

jaatelo wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:17 pm
FinlandGirl wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:07 pm
How about not doing that because she is 15 years old and cannot consent to anything.
She is allowed to date people.

Orestes1406

Post by Orestes1406 » Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:56 pm

First of all, I don't have tiktok on my phone and never had. Second of all, she will be 16 literally next week. Third of all, I thought people here were polite at least if not nice.

NukkuMatti

Post by NukkuMatti » Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:04 am

Orestes1406 wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:56 pm
First of all, I don't have tiktok on my phone and never had. Second of all, she will be 16 literally next week. Third of all, I thought people here were polite at least if not nice.
Yeah this forum is filled with rednecks as you will find out when you hang around a little longer..
However there are some very helpful people here too.

(You will get to know that Finns are by definition not polite.. the whole language is not designed for it..)

You can find both types already in this thread.

Then about the girl.... and your age... well you have to understand that the brain and mind and hormones of you and the girl will significantly change in the near future, the percentage of people in Finland, with mixed nationality that met each other when 16 /17, only 0.01% (my guess) is still together after 2-3 years. So of course you (want to) believe you will belong to that 0.01%

Your best chance while not ruining your own life, would be to qualify for an exchange student place in the city she lives in, and see if you can continue to date with her... if that works out, get to have her parents like you....by that time you should have finished your studies here in Finland and learned the language so you can start to search for a job (very difficult, even when speaking Finnish with a degree from a Finnish university when you are a foreigner with a foreign last name).

After that, .......seeing the popularity of the politic party "true Finns" growing, and the ever increasing foreigner hate in this country, you might want to return to your home country after (worst case scenario) she dumped you for a... women... 8)

jaatelo

Post by jaatelo » Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:20 am

Orestes1406 wrote:
This is a fairy tale story and it will never work because of how it's near impossible to find a job in Finland and sustain life in general because everything is super expensive. If you are from a decent country (for example usa, canada, uk), you would not be doing yourself any favors moving to another country like Finland for some girl that you met online. Finnish women change boyfriends like they change clothes. She would have to be at least 18 years old to marry you and get you some kind of legal status here -- so the relationship would have to last a few years. Finnish universities are expensive and to get a study permit you have to show a lot of money in your bank account. Unless you are a filthy rich kid, you would find it very hard to settle here in Finland.

Please do yourself a favor and just look around in your neighborhood and find a local girl.
Last edited by jaatelo on Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

jaatelo

Post by jaatelo » Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:40 am

NukkuMatti wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:04 am
Orestes1406 wrote:
Yeah this forum is filled with rednecks as you will find out when you hang around a little longer..
In my redneck state Alabama there is a section of law that states (§ 13A-6-62):

"Second-degree rape charge for someone age 16 or older to have sexual intercourse with someone between age 12 and 16, when the actor is at least two years older."

Penalty: Two to 20 years in prison.

But at least you don't need a resident permit to be in jail.

NukkuMatti

Post by NukkuMatti » Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:03 am

jaatelo wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:40 am
NukkuMatti wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:04 am
Orestes1406 wrote:
In my redneck state Alabama there is a section of law that states (§ 13A-6-61):

"Second-degree rape charge for someone age 16 or older to have sexual intercourse with someone between age 12 and 16, when the actor is at least two years older."

Penalty: Two to 20 years in prison.
As you could read, he is 17 and she gets 16 next week, so the age difference is less than 2 years....so your remark is irrelevant....

However I am not familiar with when he gets 18 and she is still younger than 18... I have no idea what Finnish law says about that...he will be an adult and she is not yet, so than it is a matter of how the law describes this case of an adult having sex with a minor, this should be checked by OP. Or just refrain from having physical contact until she is 18.. (best choice) but with hormones rushing though ones veins..... that might be easier said than done.

NukkuMatti

Post by NukkuMatti » Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:06 am

jaatelo wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:20 am
Orestes1406 wrote:
This is a fairly tale story and it will never work because of how it's near impossible to find a job in Finland and sustain life in general because everything is super expensive. If you are from a decent country (for example usa, canada, uk), you would not be doing yourself any favors moving to another country like Finland for some girl that you met online. Finnish women change boyfriends like they change clothes. She would have to be at least 18 years old to marry you and get you some kind of legal status here -- so the relationship would have to last a few years. Finnish universities are expensive and to get a study permit you have to show a lot of money in your bank account. Unless you are a filthy rich kid, you would find it very hard to settle here in Finland.

Please do yourself a favor and just look around in your neighborhood and find a local girl.
You make several assumptions here, the main one that makes a lot of difference is if the OP is from another EU state... in that case the university is free..