Moving to Finland as a EU citizen-What are the steps to follow?

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Upphew

Re: Moving to Finland as a EU citizen-What are the steps to follow?

Post by Upphew » Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:22 am

jaatelo wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:38 am
Hjördis_28 wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:03 pm
The whole idea is to settle in Finland and start the job hunt/continue with language courses. It's just that I got kinda lost with the processes, as in when to register the right of residence and how (considering my previous comment on bank statements), if KELA comes next etc. Sounds quite logical to me for KELA to act like that when bank account activities concern banks other than Finnish ones.
For moving money from Greece to Finland, I recommend using this service.
Greece is in SEPA. Bank transfers can't cost more between banks in SEPA than domestic transfers. So why would one use third party that takes a cut?

http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

jaatelo

Post by jaatelo » Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:59 am

FinlandGirl wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:04 am
Don't listen to all the nonsense an old troll in this forum with a new account is writing.
This is why Finland is a bad country to live in. People are inherently disrespectful and assume they know better than you. This is your first hand example right here.
Last edited by jaatelo on Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jaatelo

Post by jaatelo » Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:01 pm

Upphew wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:22 am
Greece is in SEPA. Bank transfers can't cost more between banks in SEPA than domestic transfers. So why would one use third party that takes a cut?
SEPA schemes are only used for euro-denominated payments. A US dollar account in Greece would then cause delays.

Romania, Switzerland and United Kingdom etc don't have SEPA for local currencies because local bank accounts are not euro accounts by default. To use SEPA is these countries, you have to open a euro account.
Last edited by jaatelo on Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:26 pm

jaatelo wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:01 pm
Upphew wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:22 am
SEPA schemes are only used for euro-denominated payments.

Romania, Switzerland and United Kingdom etc don't have SEPA.

For Greece perhaps third party doesn't make sense.
Indeed. That is why I wondered your recommendation to use 3rd party transfer service.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:23 pm

jaatelo wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:01 pm
SEPA schemes are only used for euro-denominated payments. A US dollar account in Greece would then cause delays.

Romania, Switzerland and United Kingdom etc don't have SEPA.
That's rubbish, like most claims from this user.

jaatelo

Post by jaatelo » Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:00 pm

FinlandGirl wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:23 pm
That's rubbish, like most claims from this user.
It's not rubbish. Your claims are rubbish. You want to invite a Greek citizen into your country so you can tax their inheritance and assets. I am here to give neutral advice.

Note to other users:

DO NOT reveal your real name to FinlandGirl, she is ex-migri or a Government Agent.

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:06 am

jaatelo wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:00 pm
It's not rubbish. Your claims are rubbish. You want to invite a Greek citizen into your country so you can tax their inheritance and assets. I am here to give neutral advice.
And you want Greek to use 3rd party money transfer company that costs money. Pot, Kettle.

jaatelo

Post by jaatelo » Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:36 am

Upphew wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:06 am
And you want Greek to use 3rd party money transfer company that costs money. Pot, Kettle.
My morning coffee also costs money but I drink it because it tastes good.

3rd party money transfers with wise.com are cheap and their app is super user friendly and fun.

It also takes care of a situation where source account is outside of sepa zone.

NukkuMatti

Post by NukkuMatti » Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:55 pm

FinlandGirl wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:04 am
jaatelo wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:38 am
Hjördis_28 wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:03 pm
The whole idea is to settle in Finland and start the job hunt/continue with language courses. It's just that I got kinda lost with the processes, as in when to register the right of residence and how (considering my previous comment on bank statements), if KELA comes next etc. Sounds quite logical to me for KELA to act like that when bank account activities concern banks other than Finnish ones.
For moving money from Greece to Finland, I recommend using this service.

https://wise.com/
Don't listen to all the nonsense an old troll in this forum with a new account is writing.
:thumbsup:
Most of the time I disagree with you, but this is NOT such a case, here you hit the nail right on its head... :lol:
He is on my block-list already, reads much nicer this forum now....I do not see any of his posts anymore except for the quoted parts, that is.. ...refreshing.. :lightbulb:

jaatelo

Post by jaatelo » Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:44 pm

NukkuMatti wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:55 pm
:thumbsup:
Most of the time I disagree with you, but this is NOT such a case, here you hit the nail right on its head... :lol:
He is on my block-list already, reads much nicer this forum now....I do not see any of his posts anymore except for the quoted parts, that is.. ...refreshing.. :lightbulb:
Maybe FinlandGirl and NukkuMatti should go out on a date since they agree with each other so much now. :wink: Also what kind of a geek takes pleasure in blocking people on an online forum?

I bet I can find a way to display my comments to this user even with his block list active ---- on this poorly written PHP site.
Last edited by jaatelo on Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Piet

Post by Piet » Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:51 am

jaatelo wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:44 pm
I bet I can find a way to display my comments to this user even with his block list active ---- on this is poorly written PHP site.
I will take that bet... show me and put your money where your mouth (euh ok fingers) is.. :lol: :lol:
If god would give us the source code, we could change the world

SecretCode

Post by SecretCode » Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:11 pm

jaatelo wrote:
Also what kind of a geek takes pleasure in blocking people on an online forum?
All of them. Geeks using technology to make communication with remote people more effective and more pleasant is literally why we have the world wide web at all.
jaatelo wrote:
I bet I can find a way to display my comments to this user even with his block list active ---- on this poorly written PHP site.
What kind of troll would take pleasure in forcing their comments down the throat of someone who's actively blocked them? :wink:

Piet

Post by Piet » Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:46 pm

SecretCode wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:11 pm
jaatelo wrote:
Also what kind of a geek takes pleasure in blocking people on an online forum?
All of them. Geeks using technology to make communication with remote people more effective and more pleasant is literally why we have the world wide web at all.
jaatelo wrote:
What kind of troll would take pleasure in forcing their comments down the throat of someone who's actively blocked them? :wink:
:lol: :lol: :thumbsup:
If god would give us the source code, we could change the world

SimaNainen

Post by SimaNainen » Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:22 am

Hi there,

I'm not good at summarising and I write a lot, so only read what you need.

I'm also an EU citizen and I'd like to share the steps I followed for the Sufficient Funds route. I arrived in Finland in December 2020. When I made my application in February 2021, it took me until June to verify my identity at the service point due to lack of appointments.
  • Currently, the time limit for proving your identity at missions and service points is extended until December 31 2021.

The steps I followed:
1. I registered at https://enterfinland.fi/eServices/account/login.

2. To create my application, I chose Registrations of EU citizens and their family members (this is for EU individuals or EU citizens with their family members).

3. Then I chose Registration of an EU citizen's right of residence in Finland because I do not have any family members in Finland. My Finnish boyfriend is not a family member because he isn't my spouse.

4. In the application, I will point out some of the important bits:
  • Contact Information - There are 2 addresses. In the 1st address, I used my Finnish boyfriend's address. In the 2nd address, I used my home address. It's best if you already have a place to stay in Finland before you verify yourself.
  • Purpose of Residence - I chose Sufficient Funds. They did not specify how much you need, but just as long you can support yourself for the duration of your stay and don't become a burden to the Finnish social security system it's enough. I only had €3,000 altogether when I made my application.
  • Means of Support - I gave a detailed explanation of my source of funds. Your story will differ from mine since I am a full student with no part-job. When I explained the following below, I used the "Who, What, How and Why" writing technique.
    • My scholarship grant - I explained who the company is and how much I am getting each month. I also explained how they could find this information in my (non-Finnish) EU bank statement e.g. this money is indicated as "reference name" ........ You do not need to have a Finnish bank account because you cannot get one unless you are approved in Finland and they prefer if you have a social security number or a residence permit.
    • My Credit Union savings - I explained that I have a savings account in case of emergencies.
    • My Revolut account - I explained who and what this company is, and my purpose for using it. I highly recommend this if you want to send money or use bank transfer abroad for free. The Finnish version of this is Mobile Pay and Pivo.
    • My expenses living with my bf - I explained that I do not pay for anything else besides essential things such as food to sustain myself.
  • Marital Status - I chose cohabitating so I could enter the details of my Finnish boyfriend.
  • Additional information - I gave a detailed explanation of my other reasons for my application, such as my intentions living in Finland e.g. continue my romantic relationship, return and stay for more than 90 days at a time, study in a Finnish university in the future and find a job.
5. Then I uploaded whatever I mentioned in my application:
  • (non-Finnish) EU bank statement
  • Revolut bank statement
  • Credit Union bank statement
  • The scholarship letter
  • Proof of student registration letter
6. I paid €49.00 for my application, and selected a service point close to my location.

7. I reserved an appointment for my chosen service point at https://migri.vihta.com/public/migri/#/home (it's recommended to check for appointments each week).

My experience at the service point:
When I visited the service point in Tampere in June, we passed through security and there were 3 other people in the waiting room. We waited for like 5 minutes and my name was called out. The service point officer was very kind as they checked my application. They read out loud a few bits, confirmed a few details like what is my mother tongue, checked my passport and I was approved in less than 15mins. They printed out my registration certificate and I got a social security number. They said it was easy to process my application because I made a really good application, so take their advice! Also, they explained that my registration is permanent, even though I didn't choose "I want to live in Finland permanently". They also said, when I return to study and if I will stay in Finland for a year or more, I need to register my address at https://dvv.fi/henkiloasiakkaat. Currently, my Finnish address is temporary.

NukkuMatti

Post by NukkuMatti » Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:44 am

I guess what is meant by proving sufficient means of support, you might not even need to show a bank account, just an official payslip or paper that proves you get sufficient income monthly..

For example if you have a disabilities benefit allowance (or pension) from lets say Holland, and it is above the limit required for residency, you can just move here and not even need to show a bank account, only the paper of the decision on your allowance...

In that case you will have the public health insurance form the other country (in this example Netherlands) as well..

But.... that is what I was told and I have been wrong before :lol:
Last edited by NukkuMatti on Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.