Residence by descent

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Quito

Residence by descent

Post by Quito » Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:19 pm

Hi All, I have a question I hope someone can help with.

My grandmother was born in Russia to Finnish parents, her birth certificate state nationality of both parents as Finnish.

Would I be able to obtain a resident permit on that basis, does anyone know?

Thanks!

Residence by descent

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinlandGirl

Re: Residence by descent

Post by FinlandGirl » Sat Aug 07, 2021 3:32 pm

Quito wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:19 pm
My grandmother was born in Russia to Finnish parents, her birth certificate state nationality of both parents as Finnish.

https://migri.fi/en/descendant-of-a-finnish-citizen

Whether you would be eligible for a resident permit depends on whether she was a Finnish citizen by birth at the time of her birth, which depends on when she was born.
The law in 1880 when Finland was part of Russia was different from the law in 1980 when Finland was independent.

If this would make you eligible, and if your grandmother is not already in the Finnish population information system, you will additionally need a certificate of her parents citizenship from the Finnish National Archives or a Finnish parish.

mdn

Post by mdn » Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:06 pm

Quito wrote:
Russian birth certificate does not have a citizenship field for parents, it is more like an ethnicity, and it is possibly that her parents/grandparents never had Finnish citizenship and never live in Finland / Karelia / Ingria etc.

So if she was not Finnish citizen by birth - you would had a chance if you joined a queue more than 10 years ago (before 1 July 2011):
https://migri.fi/en/-/inkerinsuomalaist ... y-1-7-2016

But who knows, might be at some moment Finland will decide to re-open that program.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:16 am

mdn wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:06 pm
Quito wrote:
Russian birth certificate does not have a citizenship field for parents, it is more like an ethnicity,
Are you talking about Soviet birth certificates or birth certificates from Czarist Russia or both?

The Grand Duchy of Finland was an autonomous part of the Russian Empire with separate citizenship.

mdn

Post by mdn » Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:57 pm

FinlandGirl wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:16 am
Soviet birth certificates or birth certificates from Czarist Russia or both?
Soviet birth certificates.

Czarist Russia birth certificates had no nationality/ethnicity field, just status and occupation for parent(s), and church (religion).
FinlandGirl wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:16 am
The Grand Duchy of Finland was an autonomous part of the Russian Empire with separate citizenship.
Yes, but there was no such record regarding to 'nationality' in Grand Duchy of Finland's birth certificates also - as there was no such information in original church books.

Quito

Post by Quito » Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:14 pm

Russian birth certificate does not have a citizenship field for parents, it is more like an ethnicity,
Are you talking about Soviet birth certificates or birth certificates from Czarist Russia or both?

Soviet birth certificate. Does it mean I cannot apply?

I doubt I will be easily able to recover any further documents but my grandma was born on the Russian territory in 1931. Both parents were Finnish according to her birth certificate.

My DNA test shows I'm 12% Finnish too :D

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:16 am

Quito wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:14 pm

Soviet birth certificate. Does it mean I cannot apply?

I doubt I will be easily able to recover any further documents but my grandma was born on the Russian territory in 1931.
Whether or not your grandmother was a Finnish citizen by birth depends on the Finnish law in the year 1931.
This is what matters for the question whether you would be eligible at all.
Quito wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:14 pm
Both parents were Finnish according to her birth certificate.
Finnish authorities won't accept a foreign birth certificate as proof for Finnish citizenship of your great-grandparents.
Information about your great-grandparents might be available in Finnish archives (some of them online) if you know their names, birthdates and places of birth.