Moving back to Finland - Kela

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
loraaaa

Post by loraaaa » Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:58 am

So I lived in Finland for about 4 years, and I was entitled to Kela. I am an EU citizen and I was dating a Finnish person at the time I first moved to Finland. I also got a Bachelor's degree, and I got the student benefit. At one point our relationship ended and I moved out, and I don't think Kela cared (they even put me in a relationship wth my new flatmate even though we weren't dating, and he was not Finnish and I specifically had to explain we were just sharing a flat and we are not a couple). Last year I was visiting my family in my home country when Covid happened and I got stuck there for longer than expected. The internship I had in Finland got cancelled and I couldn't find another one in Finland, so I did one in my home country instead (I needed an internship to finish my studies, and I wanted to finish them so that I can go to Master's). That along with some health issues I had made my stay abroad over a year. I currently don't have the right to Finnish social security, but I have moved back to Finland starting a Master's degree. Kela told me I should submit a notification that I have moved back and I was wondering does anyone know if my right to social security will be restored, since the grounds on which I got it (the relationship) is no longer relevant. I actually didn't know my right to the social security was cancelled, I just now checked. Basically, I plan to live in Finland permanently, even though I am no longer dating that person I spent years here and made many friends, and learned a decent amount of Finnish. Also, the year I spent abroad wasn't exactly planned but rather happened due to reasons beyond my control. I was wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation and can share some insights, since I am worried that now that I am a student I might be considered non-permanent.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: Moving back to Finland - Kela

Post by betelgeuse » Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:28 am

loraaaa wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:58 am
So I lived in Finland for about 4 years, and I was entitled to Kela. I am an EU citizen and I was dating a Finnish person at the time I first moved to Finland. I also got a Bachelor's degree, and I got the student benefit. At one point our relationship ended and I moved out, and I don't think Kela cared (they even put me in a relationship wth my new flatmate even though we weren't dating, and he was not Finnish and I specifically had to explain we were just sharing a flat and we are not a couple). Last year I was visiting my family in my home country when Covid happened and I got stuck there for longer than expected. The internship I had in Finland got cancelled and I couldn't find another one in Finland, so I did one in my home country instead (I needed an internship to finish my studies, and I wanted to finish them so that I can go to Master's). That along with some health issues I had made my stay abroad over a year. I currently don't have the right to Finnish social security, but I have moved back to Finland starting a Master's degree. Kela told me I should submit a notification that I have moved back and I was wondering does anyone know if my right to social security will be restored, since the grounds on which I got it (the relationship) is no longer relevant. I actually didn't know my right to the social security was cancelled, I just now checked. Basically, I plan to live in Finland permanently, even though I am no longer dating that person I spent years here and made many friends, and learned a decent amount of Finnish. Also, the year I spent abroad wasn't exactly planned but rather happened due to reasons beyond my control. I was wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation and can share some insights, since I am worried that now that I am a student I might be considered non-permanent.
” When determining the entitlement to social security coverage, Kela takes into account also possible other reasons for the stay in Finland in addition to the studies. Such reasons can be, for instance, previous residence, family ties or employment in Finland.”

https://www.kela.fi/web/en/from-other-c ... esearchers

If the internship was paid, you were working abroad which under EU rules moves social security cover regardless of the intention to return. I haven’t checked how unpaid internships are handled.