Question Regarding Exchanging Foreign Driving License

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
RezheenA

Post by RezheenA » Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:35 pm

Hello, I hope someone could help me with understanding the basis on which a foreign driving license can be exchanged to a Finnish one without having to take the theory and driving tests, specifically when it comes to having lived in Finland permanently for two years or not.
My question is simply this: Does it matter if a foreigner who has a permanent address in Finland for over two years but has also lived outside Finland within that period and as a result the actual overall period for which the foreigner has lived in finland is less that two years?
P.S. Migri has been notified of the temporary move and the temporary address outside Finland as well as the period of temporary stay has been officially recorded in DVV’s database, to which Traficom/Ajovarma have access.
I appreciate your response!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

browndude

Re: Question Regarding Exchanging Foreign Driving License

Post by browndude » Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:55 am

To me-and I am no legal expert-it seems like it is open to interpretation whether for the purposes of your drivers license, you have resided in Finland for over 2 years or not. I would suggest asking the relevant authorities directly for advice on this matter.
ImageImage

betelgeuse

Re: Question Regarding Exchanging Foreign Driving License

Post by betelgeuse » Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:30 pm

RezheenA wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:35 pm
Hello, I hope someone could help me with understanding the basis on which a foreign driving license can be exchanged to a Finnish one without having to take the theory and driving tests, specifically when it comes to having lived in Finland permanently for two years or not.
My question is simply this: Does it matter if a foreigner who has a permanent address in Finland for over two years but has also lived outside Finland within that period and as a result the actual overall period for which the foreigner has lived in finland is less that two years?
P.S. Migri has been notified of the temporary move and the temporary address outside Finland as well as the period of temporary stay has been officially recorded in DVV’s database, to which Traficom/Ajovarma have access.
I appreciate your response!
The law doesn’t provide a clear answer on temporary stays but the wording suggest that it might not reset.

” Ajokortti hyväksytään ajamiseen Suomessa kaksi vuotta ajokortin haltijan väestörekisteriin merkitsemisestä edellyttäen, että se on voimassa eikä muuta syytä ajokortin kelpoisuuden lakkaamiseen aikaisemmin ole.”

https://www.finlex.fi/fi/laki/ajantasa/ ... 0386#L6P60

It’s not immediately clear what merkitseminen is supposed to mean.