Permit problems.

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
STEPHEN

Permit problems.

Post by STEPHEN » Fri Oct 03, 2003 10:07 am

Hi :D, need some good advive . I have been living in Finland (im i British citizen) on and off for the past year with my Finnish girlfriend :twisted:. I had a car shipped here from USA, (where i have lived for the past 10 years) so i was told by customs i have to get a social number, which i did, 09/12/02 at Maistraatti. My problem is, i have just found out i am only allowed to stay for three months, then i have to get some visa/permit, :oops: , is this true for EU citizen's. If so i have a big problem because before i can sell my car in Finland i have to prove to customs i have be living here for one year, if not i have to pay so much tax$$$$$$$. So my question is if i apply for the resident visa/permit now, (i have just arrived back here from England) do i apply from today as my moving date, or can they find out that i have been here for a year with out a visa/permit. What happens to me, do i go to Jail with all the drunks :shock: In the last year i have left for, Sweden for a week, Italy for two weeks and England. Thanks for any help/advice and i know is a screwed up email (situation)

Permit problems.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Post by Guest » Fri Oct 03, 2003 10:31 am

I think it was so that (people, correct me if I'm wrong) theoretically you don't need a permit as an EU citizen. But you are not entitled to any social security in that case.

Do you have a job here? If that's so, it's going to make your request for a permit a lot easier...

Handsome

Post by Handsome » Fri Oct 03, 2003 10:46 am

You could use today as your moving date. If I remember correctly, the 'moving date' to them is the date when you arrive in Finland and decide to stay here. So in other words, your previous visits could have just been temporary.

Stu

STEPHEN

Post by STEPHEN » Fri Oct 03, 2003 11:31 am

No job, but i will have to find one soon, the $$$ is running low :( . So to get a permit do i have to have a reason why im here.

Post by Guest » Fri Oct 03, 2003 11:40 am

STEPHEN wrote:No job, but i will have to find one soon, the $$$ is running low :( . So to get a permit do i have to have a reason why im here.
Yep. But the girlfriend is a good reason. If you are registered at the same address as your girlfriend, you can just take your gf along and all will be fine.
That's pretty much how it went with me :lol:

(It's not like those Finnish women, evil plans, work only one way... You can just as much use THEM as they use US :twisted: )

STEPHEN

Post by STEPHEN » Fri Oct 03, 2003 11:58 am

Seeing i spend a lot of time away, i never registered at the same address, my registered address is at a buddys house in Espoo. If i did register at her address the landlord wanted to put her rent up :evil:. Can i still get a permit seeing we have been together for 20months, but we live at a differant address???

fionna

Post by fionna » Fri Oct 03, 2003 12:25 pm

I didn't register for almost a year after starting work here, because I didn't know that there was a deadline on it. The actual law (as it was explained to me) is that you have to be here continuously for over three months, so since I had left on various trips and weekends away, there was only a four month period that I was in trouble for.

I was interviewed by a detective, who was pretty decent and just let me off after a talking-to (it was like being sent to the headmaster), I didn't even have to prove that I had been out of the country when I said I had.

I also got stopped by the police for jay-walking and let off with a warning - I feel like a dodgy criminal type. :lol:

Majava

Post by Majava » Sat Oct 04, 2003 2:44 pm

Arno wrote: Yep. But the girlfriend is a good reason. If you are registered at the same address as your girlfriend, you can just take your gf along and all will be fine.
That's pretty much how it went with me :lol:
...and for me as well.