KELA and other social security

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Post Reply
User avatar
Posts: 643
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2002 3:00 am
Location: Siuntio

KELA and other social security

Post by tjawatts » Thu May 22, 2003 3:39 pm

I have my residence and applied for a KELA card. I put on the form that I was part of the UK social security so they sent me a letter back saying in that case we wont give you a KELA card. So now they say I have to get something from the UK to say I am no longer part of the social security and then they will give me one.

Firstly, should I bother? Will I get away with using a E111 for healthcare? Saving me paying expensive Finnish medical charges. If so, I suppose the only time it matters is when I eventually get a job.


KELA and other social security


Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

User avatar
Posts: 3339
Joined: Tue Jul 09, 2002 10:00 pm
Location: Vantaa

Post by Sara » Thu May 22, 2003 3:47 pm

you dont even need the E111 just your passport here!

you just pay the same as any other finn would when you need to see a doctor. So if you got sick and went to the doctor this weekend you would just pay the €10 or so. Kela would give you something off the medication but usually its not too bad anyway.

I have to get a new Kela card as the last one expired, I got some antibiotics for a tooth infection a few weeks ago and only paid something like €10 for 2 lots of medication without the card.

If youre caught short now you would be fine, but long term its better to get it.


Post by Ace » Thu May 22, 2003 5:28 pm

Sara wrote: If youre caught short now you would be fine, but long term its better to get it.
Very true, get the kortti!

Posts: 40
Joined: Tue May 20, 2003 2:45 pm
Location: Espoo

Post by sodengiles » Fri May 23, 2003 12:14 pm

Hi Tony,
The place you should call is the Department for UK National Insurance in the EU (or something like that) tel: +44 191 22 55 226.

When I applied for the Kela card I was unemployed (and hadn't received my res permit so couldn't get the card anyway) and I needed to get an E 301 for from the UK which certifies that I have paid my taxes and am liable for any benefits from the social security system (medical, unemployement benefit or other).

Kela didn't seem to know much at all about what needed to be sent... they asked for an E 101 form which doesn't exist.

When you do find out which form you need, I would advise you to ask the UK authorities to fax a copy as well as mailing a hard copy as the first E 301 form sent to me still hasn't arrived (it was sent at the beginning of Jan), they have sent me one since thought which arrived within 2.5 weeks.

Good luck

Post Reply