Possessions

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
deojuvame

Post by deojuvame » Wed Oct 29, 2003 8:29 pm

However, in a half note of seriousness, I would suggest keeping any pants that remotely fit, if your legs are in the "regular" to "petite" fit range in the US. I've noticed that the Finnish fit of pants for women is a LOT different than the "american" fit. A lot tighter in the thigh, and MUCH longer in length. I've been wearing a lot more long skirts since moving here.

Keep all your black clothing, ditch bright stuff unless they make good acent pieces.

Wear brightly patterned long skirts and "dress like a Somalian refugee", says Helsinkilainen girls I know.

Next issue: 200 ways to hunt down a man with stiletto heels in the November issue of Arabella!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

kwallette

Post by kwallette » Wed Oct 29, 2003 8:35 pm

Thanks for the tips. Luckily for me, then, I do not fig in the "regular" length legs. They are pretty, well, really long. I have a shorter torso but LONG legs. I guess that answers a question. I need pants that have longer legs.

I do not have many bright clothing. A few reds, but other than that, I'm pretty neutral. My closet is mostly blacks, tans, browns, reds and colors along that line.

dusty_bin

Post by dusty_bin » Wed Oct 29, 2003 8:39 pm

As a pervy old goat in bed with a cold, I can say that one thing Finnish girls do well is legs!

As a bloke, I learned many years ago that I could buy shirts and jackets in the US, but trousers were a no no. The are cut HUGE on the thighs and bum and I ain't so skinny! I assume it is the same for the women.

deojuvame

Post by deojuvame » Wed Oct 29, 2003 8:40 pm

Oh, and this seems to be the wardrobe source of most Helsinki people from the 12-40 year old range: http://www.hm.com
It can get pretty insane when the new season's clothes come out and you see everyone wearing the clothes from there. It's like some sort of urban uniform...

Caroline

Post by Caroline » Wed Oct 29, 2003 10:56 pm

Americans do have EXTREMELY horrible tastes in clothing.

How can you say that when Finnish people think they look good in shocking orange collar shirts with gray polyester slacks? America (NYC specifically) happens to be one of the fashion centers of the world, by the way.

Just my 2 cents' worth :D
Former expat in Finland, now living in New Hampshire USA.

daive

Post by daive » Wed Oct 29, 2003 11:02 pm

arabella wrote:Oh, and this seems to be the wardrobe source of most Helsinki people from the 12-40 year old range: http://www.hm.com
Most people are wearing that, so the rest must be wearing this... http://www.esprit.com

I have never seen such a brand allegience to Esprit than in Finland. From bags to sweaters, that little logo keeps popping up everywhere here. I must admit their ad campaigns are very enticing, quite seductive, the youngsters envy and try to emulate the "beautiful" models in the poster campaigns and the rest of us just lust over them. :wink:
Last edited by daive on Wed Oct 29, 2003 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Wed Oct 29, 2003 11:04 pm

arabella wrote: her pants were too tight
Not seemingly to the secret Victorian principles - not enogh lace, only too little space...
Last edited by Hank W. on Thu Oct 30, 2003 6:31 am, edited 4 times in total.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

dusty_bin

Post by dusty_bin » Wed Oct 29, 2003 11:28 pm

I have always been happy to follow Victoria Principal 8)

Britney is a bit young for me...

I mean, what would we talk about?

dusty_bin

Post by dusty_bin » Wed Oct 29, 2003 11:30 pm

The girls would know better than I, but, wouldn't a pair of pants have to be MADE specially to fit like that?

moi

Back on track with shipping

Post by moi » Thu Oct 30, 2003 5:22 am

I would ask the airline how much extra bags cost to ship. When my wife moved from Finland to the US it it cost $2oo for a large very heavy bag.
Moi moi

Post by Guest » Thu Oct 30, 2003 10:45 am

dusty_bin wrote:It's such a shame that I am a vegetarian! ;) 8)
I am too. So is my gf. So what's the problem? :lol: :lol:

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Thu Oct 30, 2003 11:33 am

If vegetarians eat plants what do humanitarians eat?
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.