I'm now a Finn....

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
tiinajk

I'm now a Finn....

Post by tiinajk » Tue Nov 25, 2003 11:54 am

Hi... Just wanted to let you know that I've finally gotten my Finnish citizenship and get my passport in 2 weeks. I'm lucky enough to be elegible under the new dual citizenship laws passed this summer. So for others looking into it, be patient but it does eventually work out...

Tiina

I'm now a Finn....

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Jason

Post by Jason » Tue Nov 25, 2003 1:27 pm

My son also has duel citizenship, New Zealand and Finnish. He acquired his in April this year. I was unaware that you were only allowed single citizenship before this summer, I thought there was no issue which in our case there seemed to be no issue as we got it.

Lucky I guess.

Congrats on your application.

tiinajk

Post by tiinajk » Tue Nov 25, 2003 2:15 pm

Officially Finland didn't recognise dual citizenship in that if you took another countries citizenship, you lost your Finnish. Although in reality is was a bit blurred depending on whether the other country allowd dual nationality and the order you applied for them (Finnish first or second nationality). I also understand that with minors... the "decision" didn't need to be made until they turned 18, at which stage it was an either/or. Your son won't have to worry about it though...

Tiina

Penny

Post by Penny » Tue Nov 25, 2003 3:35 pm

Congratulations Tiina. When my daughter was born in Australia 18 months ago we registered her in Finland. I thought that gave her dual citizenship as well. Didn't realize that their might be problems later on. Don't need to worry now though with the new law. :D

j o h a n n a

Post by j o h a n n a » Fri Nov 28, 2003 7:34 am

woo tiina, congratulations! i just got my letter saying i'm now a finnish citizen yesterday. yay! i'd applied @ the end of june, & had been worried that i'd have to wait for ages. now i just have to get around to applying for a passport.

it's very exciting! also my finnish professor said we could have a little celebration in class once i got that letter. i hope she wasn't kidding. :)

sayx

Post by sayx » Fri Nov 28, 2003 8:45 am

Your right Tiinajk if your under 18 you can have dual or tri citizenship. My oldest has tri citizenship, Finland had no problem with this when we informed the Finnish Embassy about his birth and the other two citizenships.
Image Serving my 9th year of a life sentence with no chance of early parole

tiinajk

Post by tiinajk » Fri Nov 28, 2003 9:33 am

Congratulations to you too Johanna... We had cake and blue/white candles at work as a "celebration".

I'm now waiting for my invitation to the Presidents Ball in the mail but it hasn't come yet...<smile>

Tiina

JasonS

Post by JasonS » Fri Nov 28, 2003 10:25 pm

Onnea, Onnea!

I should get mine soon then, I 'declared' in July. btw does the passport cost extra, my memory has faded a bit since July?
½Image½Image

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Sat Nov 29, 2003 8:30 am

Any and every document costs. IIRC 10 year passport is a few euros cheaper than a year's 'on the fly' one :mrgreen:
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

dreamer

Post by dreamer » Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:23 pm

Congratulations Tiina and Johanna! :)

Did you have to have a Finnish language test, or else how did the language requirement have to be proved?

j o h a n n a

Post by j o h a n n a » Sat Nov 29, 2003 11:43 pm

oh, i got my citizenship through the new nationality act--my mom was a former finnish citizen who gave it up for us citizenship (when they changed the laws over here so she wouldn't get her social security when she retired unless she was a us citizen--jerks). so she applied to get hers back & i applied to gain it as her daughter.

so... um... no language requirement, i believe. i certainly HOPE so, as i'm only on my first semester of finnish (here in new york). :o

jwesthues

Post by jwesthues » Fri Dec 12, 2003 1:52 pm

Me too!
Just got the letter in the mail.
My daughter and I are Finland's newest citizens.
Still unemployed, but now they can't kick me out.

JasonS

Post by JasonS » Wed Dec 17, 2003 10:24 pm

Me too. About 5 months it took. Now I have to give the ETA card i waited along time for back to the police. I didnt need it after all. Good ol' buraucracy.
½Image½Image

Reima

Post by Reima » Thu Jan 22, 2004 8:16 pm

I got mine as well, it took 5 months. We are now waiting for my wife to get a residence permit. The kids and I hope to get our passports in about a month's time.