Offered Job in Tampere and need advice ASAP

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
jaykerr

Post by jaykerr » Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:48 am

Hi
I am a 26 yr old Irish guy, who has just this morning received a mail offering me a job in IT in Tampere. It has happened very quickly with an phone interview yesterday,to an offer today.
I have friends in the pori/tampere area which is good but what I would like to know is what is the average cost of rent in Tampere,whether it be sharing or a apartment on my own.
I am currently living in Dublin therefore the rent is very expensive, this I see as a big advantage in moving and a different way of life would interest me.
If anyone can give me a idea of the rent prices I would be very grateful.

Thx
James

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Tom and Jerry

Post by Tom and Jerry » Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:57 am

On your own, a one-two room appartment from the free market in Tampere will be 400 - 600 euro a month.

The best procedure is to ask your new employer to assist you with finding one (they can place an advertisement or phone their contacts).

polamook

Post by polamook » Thu Jan 29, 2004 2:28 pm

Search results from etuovi.com (etuovi=front door) seem to indicate that Tampere is a fairly inexpensive place to live these days:

http://www.dime.net/dime/c/vuokra-asunn ... o&x=46&y=4

Um...sorry bout the length of that link.

That is just the first page - click "Seuraava sivu" for the next page.

Kerrostalo = a block of flats
1 h + k = one room and a kitchen
1 h + kk = one room and a kitchenette
Sijainti = location
Kiinteisönvälittäjä = the agency

Kaleva, for example, is a very livable area, if memory serves.

Good luck.

polamook[/url]

neil

Post by neil » Thu Jan 29, 2004 2:38 pm

If you decide to take the job and want to contact Irish folk, this thread will hook you up with some folk.

Good luck.
Neil

Please add a link to https://www.finlandforum.org

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Thu Jan 29, 2004 2:56 pm

One thing - what street is the office you'll be working at on?

Public transport in Tampere doesn't suck, but isn't as grand as in Helsinki (smaller centre, I rather like the city for that) so if I was you I'd find a flat convenient distance from center/work

I mean like if I were moving to Dublin and the 'Company in Dublin' really had offices in Swords, so I wouldn'a be looking a flat in Stillorgan just because its 'in Dublin' kinda...
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Ivan

Post by Ivan » Thu Jan 29, 2004 6:48 pm

James

Congrats on the job offer. Great to see another Irish on board :D
From what I have seen Tampere seems pretty cool place and must be less expensive than Dublin (mind you that would'nt be hard :x )

I am Irish too and looking for a Business/IT internship there for 6 months beginning April no luck yet but hopefully something will turn up :?
Ivan
"I choose my friends for their good looks, my acquaintances for their good characters, and my enemies for their good intellects. A man cannot be too careful in the choice of his enemies"

martinsloan

Post by martinsloan » Fri Jan 30, 2004 5:52 pm

Hi James,
Forget to mention in my mail, accommodation in Tampere is between 50 and 60% the cost of Dublin and the quality of accomadation is IMHO ( having rented in both place) far superior in Finland. Standard leases require between 1 to 2 months as a deposit and 1 month rent in advance, as a foreigner living in Finland ( ie no refernce available for a landlord) you should expect tohave to fork over 2 month rent deposit. But it is normally not a problem getting the deposit back at the end of the lease.
Luck, like a Russian car, generally only works if you push it.
MMS

jaykerr

Post by jaykerr » Sat Jan 31, 2004 4:35 pm

Thanks for all the help guys
Much appreciated

Majava

Post by Majava » Sat Jan 31, 2004 8:44 pm

Identical triple post!!!

At . that means beers are on you, James! Sure you're an IT guy?? 8)
"Remember-you can't beam through a force field. So, don't try it. "(James T. Kirk)

BAT

Post by BAT » Sun Feb 01, 2004 3:49 pm

I removed the duplicate posts :D