Moving to Tampere from the UK

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Jukka Aho

Re: Moving to Tampere from the UK

Post by Jukka Aho » Mon May 24, 2010 4:50 pm

sinikala wrote:A bit odd that you would have a first choice without yet visiting and taking a look. In the UK apartments and city centre living are far from the norm. Here around half of the population live in apartments, the benefits will be come apparent when you move here. There is far more maintenance and upkeep required for detached wooden houses at these latitudes than for brick houses in the UK.
A detached house does not need to have a wood paneling, of course; you can find plenty of brick and concrete houses on the market. (Many of the “brick” ones have a wooden frame inside, though... with brick walls used only as an outer shell. But that shouldn’t matter: the surface is going to be as maintenance-free as with a “real” brick house.)

As already noted in this discussion, letting out a detached house is a pretty rare practice in Finland. It might be difficult to find one for rent and the available selection isn’t going to be too great. Oikotie.fi and Etuovi.com have practically no detached or semi-detached houses listed in their rentals section for Tampere: there are maybe one or two at the moment, but that’s it. The general expectation is that those who want a detached house will either buy or build one for themselves.

znark

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Mobious

Post by Mobious » Tue May 25, 2010 8:14 pm

Once again thank you all for your help it is very much appreciated.

There is a phrase we have over here which I think explains the house mentality.

'An Englishmans house is his castle'.

I think it is a case of wanting a space to myself and my family. My wife and me have only owned our own house for 4 years as I traveled a lot and so when we got our own place it was something special to us and to go back to renting, we would like to try and get a house.

In saying that I have seen some very nice appartments and as one of the other people here have said, there are a lot of advantages to appartment living.

I am now flying over on the 7th June so I am really looking forward to it, and if Finnish people are half as friendly as you have all been, then I think that will remove some of the fear factor of moving to another country.

Jukka Aho

Post by Jukka Aho » Tue May 25, 2010 10:20 pm

Mobious wrote:I think it is a case of wanting a space to myself and my family. My wife and me have only owned our own house for 4 years as I traveled a lot and so when we got our own place it was something special to us and to go back to renting, we would like to try and get a house.
A couple of more links for you:
You can try and use Google Translate and Wiktionary for deciphering the Finnish pages even though Google Translate may often give misleading or unintelligible results.
znark

sinikala

Post by sinikala » Wed May 26, 2010 12:39 am

Mobious wrote:If Finnish people are half as friendly as you have all been, then I think that will remove some of the fear factor of moving to another country.
:twisted: