facts on Oulu.....

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Hank W.
The Motorhead

Re: oops...sorry

Post by Hank W. » Sun Jul 06, 2003 9:34 pm

The Wolverine wrote:that drinking alko is regraded as the most serious issue
There is a lot of laestadians in the region, so not drinking is not an "issue". Some of the tighter adherents also forbid tv's and washing machines with a window so you don't see knickers whizzing..

Also, after one winter here you understand the concept of anti-freeze.

Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Re: oops...sorry

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

The Wolverine

Post by The Wolverine » Sun Jul 06, 2003 10:00 pm

Hank,

I dont mean to offend anyone of you. I was bought in such traditions. call them old fashioned or anything. I guess it'll take a lot of time to get adjusted to your lifestyle. :o but I'll be prepared to face it. anyways thanks for ur comments.

sam
"Whatjou doin'?"
"Thinkin'."
"Well, that's never a good sign, is it?"

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Mon Jul 07, 2003 12:17 am

The Wolverine wrote: I was bought in such traditions. call them old fashioned or anything. I guess it'll take a lot of time to get adjusted to your lifestyle.
As I said, if you have a hard time understanding what I write, there is a lot of people in the region that have the same ideas what you were brought up with. I don't know if they are old fashioned, because they have quite active "revival meetings". Only I know that the Bishop of Oulu who retired in 2000 used to be old-fashioned as he didn't allow women clergy up there. So what comes to adjustment I think you'll be just an "proper young man" atleast in the eyes of elder people.
Cheers, Hank W.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Re: I asked about the meals

Post by Hank W. » Mon Jul 07, 2003 12:25 am

The Wolverine wrote: and i've asked about the finnish meal, no one has replied about it. I want to eat the local food. So plz tell me what is a typcial finnish meal
For students, pizza & kebab on handout-day, rest of the week it is macaroni and maybe tuna. Modern kids don't know how to cook. Now those fortunate enough to live close home go weekends to eat their mothers cookings it is potatoe in its various forms usually. Casseroles (like my mom's anchovies casserole that takes the tongue with) are very usual. Or then it is potatoes and herring or mash and meatballs or such. Rice and other foreign foods are on the expensive side. Now to find a restaurant that sells "ordinary food" is a challenge. Like I can find an Indian cuisine more easily than a place that would sell "regular" food. Eating in a restaurant is so expensive, who in their right mind would go eat "regular" food? Usually you can find this kind of normal food in small lunch canteens, a good sign if it is inhabited with construction workers. I'd think your school's canteen will have "regular" Finnish food. Some traditional dishes like pea soup on thursdays or liver casserole...nnngghh... may pop up on a regular pace. Maybe not the most culinaristic, but exotic enough for you I bet.
Cheers, Hank W.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Re: a finnish meal....and ....?

Post by Hank W. » Mon Jul 07, 2003 12:33 am

Tom and Jerry wrote: The alcohol consumption per capita is in Finland one of the lowest in Europe.
However, even that is 9 liters of pure alcohol per every living person (from infants to elderly) a year... in Finnish that is like 40 bottles of kossu... :shock:
Last edited by Hank W. on Mon Jul 07, 2003 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers, Hank W.

Sara

Post by Sara » Mon Jul 07, 2003 12:34 am

Hank, shouldnt you be asleep by now! :o

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Mon Jul 07, 2003 12:38 am

Sara wrote:Hank, shouldnt you be asleep by now!
Just got back from the cottage - enjoying my electricity :D ...went to "weld the car" ended up cleaning 50 years worth of junk from the basement & shed. Can you get a disease from mice crap I wonder... found nice youth fashion magazines from the 1970's :D and popular machanics from the 1950's...
Cheers, Hank W.

Sara

Post by Sara » Mon Jul 07, 2003 12:40 am

ahhh the luxury of running water :D

Magazines sound like a good giggle! :)

I suggest a hot shower though, mice poo doesnt sound so nice!

The Wolverine

hank ur just amazing....

Post by The Wolverine » Tue Jul 08, 2003 8:29 pm

Hi Hank,

Thank you very much for ur replies. Its so amazing 8) that u drive home ur point soo effectively. it seems as if there's nothing u dont know about finland. anyways, :D Great job..
I really am Thankful to everyone.

regards ~ sam.
"Whatjou doin'?"
"Thinkin'."

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Re: hank ur just amazing....

Post by Hank W. » Tue Jul 08, 2003 9:35 pm

The Wolverine wrote: Its so amazing that u drive home ur point soo effectively.
It is the "Finnish style".

We have no small talk, no future tense and no word for 'please'.

:wink:
Cheers, Hank W.

The Wolverine

btw

Post by The Wolverine » Tue Jul 08, 2003 10:59 pm

We have no small talk, no future tense and no word for 'please'
is that true hank. Is there really no word for please... :roll: So how do you request anything... :?

by the way
Could ya help me on this : Should I join in a finnish language course or can i get along by picking up words? If there are language courses, how much does they cost.. are they verry expensive? Any help on this would b very much appericated.

Sam
"Whatjou doin'?"
"Thinkin'."

Sara

Post by Sara » Tue Jul 08, 2003 11:44 pm

there isnt a exact word for please in finnish!

I should think your college or uni will offer courses, even if you go for the basic it will do you good. Dont worry though if you struggle. Im still struggling 3 years later! :oops:

The Wolverine

Post by The Wolverine » Wed Jul 09, 2003 12:58 am

I have a friend who is a missionary from finland(Rahee)....when i told him about me going to finland, he was so happy, and he showed me some videos he took in his last trip to finland and stuff like that, I guess finns are very happy talking about thier country. Because through all the years I known him he was not at all interested in another topic other than his book (he was writing a book at that time, my mom was editing it, his english is horrible :shock: ), but when i mentioned about my admission he has called me a number of times and he is right now teaching me some basic words in finnish, :roll: i think i'm catching them, the words I learnt by heart are : kittos, hiuma entaa. (i guess the spelling might be a bit wrong). :wink: anyways, the point is he is more excited about this more than me.

But the problem with him is.... I cant understand his english :roll: but he's a very very nice guy.
"Whatjou doin'?"
"Thinkin'."

Sara

Post by Sara » Wed Jul 09, 2003 1:12 am

I find that Finns are often very proud of their home :D and why not, after all it is a beautiful country!

Generally Finns are a little shy of using their English, but once they get going its hard to stop them :D There are some that speak better English than me! My boyfriend has flawless English, same as Hank, if you listened to him you wouldnt know that English wasnt a native tongue to him.

with Finnish I find it hard because its unlike anything Ive leant before. now I can read quite well but my speech is behind and a lot of that is because I lack the confidence to use my Finnish. Take the lessons and listen well, practise as much as you can and find some finnish friends to practise on and you will do well 8)

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Wed Jul 09, 2003 8:56 am

[quote="The Wolverine"] hiuma entaa. (i guess the spelling might be a bit wrong). quote]
Took me while to figure out what that might be..

Think it is "huomenta" which means "good morning" if you put "Hyvää" in front of it..but Finns usualy grunt just a "huomenta" = "morning" perhaps because they dont think mornings are "good" times.
Here is a link to a few words with audio if you have a sound card in your PC.
http://www.helsinki-hs.net/thisishelsinki/kieli.html
Look also at the links here:
http://www.helsinki-hs.net/
The section "this is Helsinki" has lots of usefull info and is actualy written by one of our members who works for this newspaper.

Ref Your question about Finnish having no word for "please"..
There are ways around this problem..
If you are asking for something e.g in a shop you can end your request with "Thank you" i.e. Kiitos.
When offering/giving something to someone it is usual to say "Olka Hyvää"
The means "be so good" or "please accept this!"
But dont worry just say "please" and "thank you" and "Sorry" most Finns, even small children, will understand these basic English manners.
Last point...
We ought to tell you that Hank is a Finn..that is why he knows so much.
He has offered to meet you when you arrive to give you a quick introduction.. I suggest you take up his offer.
When do you arrive in Finland??