Visiting Helsinki

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
cml

Visiting Helsinki

Post by cml » Tue May 31, 2011 11:15 pm

In July i will visit Helsinki and it will be my first trip abroad and i will be all by myself! Im thinking to stay in hotel Ava in Vallila, i wanna ask you if this place is good enough for living, if it has shops and how much the bus station is away and stuff. My actual destination is Eura so thats why i need to know about public transportation. Thank you

Visiting Helsinki

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Jukka Aho

Re: Visiting Helsinki

Post by Jukka Aho » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:59 am

cml wrote:In July i will visit Helsinki and it will be my first trip abroad and i will be all by myself! Im thinking to stay in hotel Ava in Vallila, i wanna ask you if this place is good enough for living, if it has shops and how much the bus station is away and stuff. My actual destination is Eura so thats why i need to know about public transportation. Thank you
Try Google Streetview, Google Maps, Fonecta Maps (note the various options on the top bar and on the sidebar), Eniro Maps (try the katunäkymä link at the bottom corner of the photograph – that’s another “street view” type service), and last but not least, Helsinki Region Transport Journey Planner. Those maps services have route planners as well (reittihaku).

As for various local services, search for them here.

Rather do the search with Finnish keywords on the Finnish version of the page than on the English language version... I think their database has more services and keywords listed in Finnish so you’ll get better coverage that way.

Hae tuotteita/palveluita = Search for products/services
Missä = Where (use the name of the city or the postal code)
Sädehaku = Radius search (in kilometers)

Some keywords to get you started (I filled in “Helsinki” as the location but you might want to change that to a specific address or postal code or adjust the search radius):

ravintoloita = restaurants
lounasravintoloita, buffetravintoloita = cafeterias, restaurants with a day-time (lunch-time) buffet
elintarvikeliikkeitä = grocery stores, supermarkets
tavarataloja ja kauppakeskuksia = department stores and malls
kahviloita = cafés (in European sense)
kioskeja = retail kiosks / corner-store type establishments
grillikioskeja = kiosks selling hamburgers, kebab, etc.
pizzerioita = pizzerias, pizza chains (some of these have kebab as well)
kebab-ravintoloita = kebab places (many of these have pizza as well)
hampurilaisravintoloita = hamburger chains
yökerhoja = night clubs
pubeja ja baareja = pubs & bars
alkoholimyymälöitä = liquor stores
museoita = museums

Here’s yet another map service where you might be able to find wireless access points, libraries, etc.

You might also be able to find some tips on where to go, what to see, etc. here and here. Linnanmäki, Suomenlinna, Seurasaari and Korkeasaari are pretty common points of interest for tourists, and you’ll surely be checking out the Esplanadi Park, too. Maybe Nuuksio National Park as well, if you have the time. Then there are various museums and exhibitions. And while you’re at it, check out this page and here as well – there are probably concerts and events which might coincide with your stay.
znark