Motorcycle Insurance

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
MaHoHo

Motorcycle Insurance

Post by MaHoHo » Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:07 am

Hello all!

For starters a short introduction, my name is Markus Hoff-Holtmanns, living in Martinlaakso, Vantaa. I moved here about five weeks ago, as my wife started working at, ... guess ..., Nokia. We come from Germany and just decided that we liked the finish cold more than the german beer and well, Finland is just beautiful.

Now to my question.

I know there was already a thread about car insurance, but I didn't see any actual numbers, so here I go again.

When I moved to Finland I brought my Kawasaki VN800 with me. As I don't speak Finish, I just said "yes" at Katsastus when the nice lady asked me if I needed insurance with the registration. We also have a home insurance with Pohjola, so I told her to use that company.

Now I got the bill telling me that insurance for my bike for one year is (without bonus etc.) 1.704 Euros! I get the startup bonus of 20 % and an additional rebate for whatever reason of 2,5 % but it is still the awesome amount of 1354,96 €!!

Could you maybe tell me if that can be accurate? In Germany it was about a quarter of this!

I would really appreciate an answer!

Thanks in advance,

Markus

Native German but English speaking and Finish learning

Motorcycle Insurance

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Alicia

Post by Alicia » Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:16 am

It works out about 4 euro a day to have the motor bike insured (so make the most of it). Too bad, that is just the way it is (blame the mooses).

However you can put the motorbike on standby insurance during the winter, greatly reducing the costs. Usually it is for a minimum of 1 month (the winters here are much longer so no problems) and is affective from the day that you say so to the insurance company. You need to give them an address at which the motorbike is insured. Next season we will be a two motorbike household, so double the costs for us!

There are plenty of other riders on this site so read what they say.

Welcome to Finland, the land of expensive insurance!

PeterF

Re: Motorcycle Insurance

Post by PeterF » Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:27 am

MaHoHo wrote:Hello all!

For starters a short introduction, my name is Markus Hoff-Holtmanns, living in Martinlaakso, Vantaa. Markus
Hej Marcus..a welcome from the Vantaa vadals..there are quiet a few of us living near you..
Sara, the president of ., lives in the same place as you, I and BAT live in Myyrmäki and Hank lives on Nutter Ridge..(Päkinärinne)...Daive also wanders around in the vacinity and there are few others who come and visit us at Pub Opening times :wink:
Sara and BAT are away in Canada/UK for holidays but when they return there is sure to be a welcome back party you are invited.
Keep in touch.

Mook

Post by Mook » Wed Jul 07, 2004 12:07 pm

MaHoHo wrote: Now I got the bill telling me that insurance for my bike for one year is (without bonus etc.) 1.704 Euros! I get the startup bonus of 20 % and an additional rebate for whatever reason of 2,5 % but it is still the awesome amount of 1354,96 €!!
You should be able to transfer the bonus from your German bike insurance.
(I did this with British car insurance and pohjola)
---
Image http://blog.enogastronomist.com | http://blog.enogastronomisti.com

MaHoHo

Post by MaHoHo » Wed Jul 07, 2004 12:29 pm

Thanks for the answers!

@alicia
Good to know that you can pause the insurance in wintertime. In Germany I didn't bother, it was just about 150 € or so for the whole year. Now it will be (if I use it for half a year and get my bonus transfered) about 400 - 450 € for half a year... But that sounds better already

@michael
Thanks! I will go to their office and check things out. Also with some more rebates as we will also insure our car with them.

@PeterF
Thanks for the welcome. Which pub is that, you are meeting at? Anyway, I'm always glad and willing to get to know new people! So I will definitely keep in touch.

Cheers,
Markus

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Wed Jul 07, 2004 12:39 pm

MaHoHo wrote:@PeterF
Thanks for the welcome. Which pub is that, you are meeting at? Anyway, I'm always glad and willing to get to know new people! So I will definitely keep in touch.

Cheers,
Markus
We usualy try to meet at the Rio Grande in Myyrmäki because it is not just a "drinking place"...it is more a restaurant/Tex Mex that encourages customers to have few drinks and then to hang around and perhaps take a snack or even a meal ..rather than a restaurant that just want you to eat and then vacate the table, or a Pub that just wants customers to drink until they fall over...(Drunks are also kept out so it is a safe haven.)
It is worth a visit even if we are not there as a gang, take the wife (Nokialainen are allowed in :wink: ) the locals are friendly and used to Non Finns..the food by the way ís very good if you like Tex Mex.
http://www.toppari.fi/riogrande/kartta.html

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Wed Jul 07, 2004 12:44 pm

MaHoHo wrote:Now I got the bill telling me that insurance for my bike for one year is (without bonus etc.) 1.704 Euros!
Thats cheap. Try insuring a Harley :wink:
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Wed Jul 07, 2004 12:51 pm

In Finland MC are expensive to insure because the accident rate is apparently very high..I think that this is mainly down to reputaion rather than any statistics..but I do notice that bikes in Finland seem to be in two very clear classes..with no middle ground.
1: Scooters/150cc boys bikes...only riden by teen agers and old men. (not expensive to insure)
2:Huge heavy powerfull mean machines... too often riden by those with more money than brains (You now know..not cheap to insure)

Handsome

Post by Handsome » Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:10 am

MaHoHo wrote:Now I got the bill telling me that insurance for my bike for one year is (without bonus etc.) 1.704 Euros! I get the startup bonus of 20 % and an additional rebate for whatever reason of 2,5 % but it is still the awesome amount of 1354,96 €!!

Could you maybe tell me if that can be accurate? In Germany it was about a quarter of this!
Hi Markus,

I suspect the price you're showing there is a quote for fully-comprehensive insurance for a whole year. So, in reality, you can cut that amount in half, as you'll only be riding for about six or seven months of the year.

I pay about €1100 for a Yamaha R6, third party fire & theft. But for half a year, I'll only pay something like €550.

There's also the option to lower your quote by offering to pay more excess (the initial amount you pay in a claim). For example, if your standard policy states that you have an excess of €400, then you can change this so that your excess is €800, etc. Of course, it means you have to pay more in the event of an accident, but your policy costs can go down quite a bit. The only downside is that some companies will not let you claim your yearly bonus if your excess starts to get too high.

Finnish insurance companies will often give you your first quote with all of the fancy bells and trimmings. You just need to removed the bells you don't want and the price will then go down.

Stu

Mook

Post by Mook » Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:32 am

Handsome wrote:
Finnish insurance companies will often give you your first quote with all of the fancy bells and trimmings. You just need to removed the bells you don't want and the price will then go down.
For instance, it was a third cheaper for me to take a comprehensive policy where they don't repair the car with "official" parts but use clones instead.
---
Image http://blog.enogastronomist.com | http://blog.enogastronomisti.com

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:37 am

michael.webster wrote:
Handsome wrote:
For instance, it was a third cheaper for me to take a comprehensive policy where they don't repair the car with "official" parts but use clones instead.
If you agree to take the pain of any claim for first 500€ that also cuts big bucks off the bill.

MaHoHo

Post by MaHoHo » Fri Jul 09, 2004 8:41 am

Thanks again for the supporting comments :D I talked to an insurance agent and afterwards I was very relieved, as the numbers got smaller and smaller.

But well, if you really love your hobby, you stick to it no matter the costs.

Markus

Iain

Post by Iain » Sat Jul 10, 2004 8:34 pm

Ouch!
I pay 120GBP fully comp on 2 bikes here.
This could really hurt.

MaHoHo

Post by MaHoHo » Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:54 am

Yeah, just Friday I got a letter from my german insurance company with the bill for the next 12 month of insurance for my bike. And they said 111,35 € for one year including voluntary insurance (like fire, vandalism, etc.)

I got tears in my eyes...