Citizenship enclosures

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Cass

Citizenship enclosures

Post by Cass » Thu Jul 22, 2004 7:02 am

Ive asked this several times to embassy people, but they've never given a clear answer so maybe somebody here can help.

Im filling out the UVI-12 form. It states that you have to include a copy of your passport. On another site it says that this copy has to be notarized (nowhere on the form does it say anything has to be notarized, but thats a separate gripe).

When I asked somebody at the embassy to clarify, they talked about "true certified copies" and "If you have a US passport, take it and a copy to a Notary and let him/her verify the copy."

Do they mean that you just take your passport to the library, open it up to the front page that has your picture on it, xerox it, and get this xeroxed copy notarized? That seems completely idiotic, so I cant believe thats right.

I already sent a request to the State Department to get an apostille certificate of my passport because thats what I thought they wanted, but then I was told by this person at the embassy that they'll do that. So I just wasted $30 apparently.

Any ideas?

Citizenship enclosures

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

happeningfish

Post by happeningfish » Thu Jul 22, 2004 9:49 am

I just finished filling out the same one, but I didn't have anything to do with notaries and my passport. I brought my form, the cash, my passport and my birth certificate (the one that states my mother's place of birth so I can prove that my mother is actually a Finn), and they took copies of everything they wanted. And they signed and stamped it -- maybe that's what they mean.

Honestly, the process is far less frightening than you might think if you're submitting a UVI-12. Once I got to the one person who's working behind the desk taking applications, it took approximately 5 minutes.

I think if you've got a US passport you should be ok. I submitted mine on May 28th and I already got my citizenship. Just a word of advice: get to Malmi around 7:40 if you don't want to be there for a long, long, long time.

Cass

Post by Cass » Thu Jul 22, 2004 10:01 am

Yeah, thanks. I cant go in person because the consulates are too far away, so I have get things notarized, and wire the money to them, and things like that. I tried to go through an honorary consulate who's nearby (as it says you can do in the information on the form) so I wouldnt have to get things notarized and he can maybe tell me what Im missing, but the guy said he doesnt do it.

I have a US passport, but I dont know what Malmi is. Im just going to xerox a copy of my passport photo page I guess, get it notarized, and send it in because I cant comprehend what these officials are talking about.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Thu Jul 22, 2004 10:09 am

Cass wrote:but I dont know what Malmi is.
Imagine INS office.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

TrishPaakkonen

Post by TrishPaakkonen » Thu Jul 22, 2004 11:04 am

Dumb question but what is a UVI-12 form??

tiinajk

Post by tiinajk » Thu Jul 22, 2004 11:06 am

Cass wrote: xerox a copy of my passport photo page I guess, get it notarized,
A notarised copy is just that. Basically, if you are not going to send them (or let them view) your actual passport, they want to be sure that the copy you are sending is not doctored in any way. They do this by having you take the copy and the orrigianl to a JP or such and have them declair that it is a true and valid copy.

The apostile is different in that it is a verification that the document you have is an original. I had to get one of these on my 30 year old birth certificate when I was applying for residency in The Netherlands. What a drama that was.

Trust me... as far as permits/visas/citizenship paperwork, this citizenship my nomination is a walk in the park... Don't stress, just send them the notarised copies and the money and you'll be a Finn before you know it.

Tiina
Image Image

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Thu Jul 22, 2004 11:11 am

TrishPaakkonen wrote:Dumb question but what is a UVI-12 form??
Ummmm... educated guess - citizenship by declaration form?
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

happeningfish

Post by happeningfish » Thu Jul 22, 2004 11:25 am

Hank W. wrote:
TrishPaakkonen wrote:Dumb question but what is a UVI-12 form??
Ummmm... educated guess - citizenship by declaration form?
It is indeed, UVI-12 is what you use if you have one or more parents who are or were finnish citizens. All of the citizenship application forms are here: http://www.uvi.fi/netcomm/content.asp?article=1991