Immigration Question?

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
oblomov

Immigration Question?

Post by oblomov » Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:02 am

Hi People,

I have searched through the forum to find and answer to my question but unfortunately there was not a similar case.

Is it possible for a non-EU student to bring his wife to Finalnd and would her be allowed to work?

Thank you in advance
Last edited by oblomov on Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Don't come near, don't come near, you're straight from the cold street"

Immigration Question?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

alloydog

Post by alloydog » Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:58 am

Anything is possible...
First you have to get along to your nearest Finnish embassy and apply for visas for both of you.
You will asked an awful lots of questions.
Basically, for any most countries, the issuing of visas allowing residence and work are decided on two main factors:
1) why do you want to come to this country ?
2) what benefits would this country have from having you here ?

OK, they don't ask those questions out right, but that's the idea of it.

There are a 'million and one' questions, like:

Where are you studying ?
+ Where are you coming from ?
+ Are you already in Finland ?
What is your wife's profession ?
+ Does she have a job in her home country ?
Why do you both want to stay in Finland ?

and so on ...

Also, we cannot give you a definate Yes or No to your question, only Finnish Immigration can.

SediaAmore

Post by SediaAmore » Tue Jul 27, 2004 4:48 pm

---
Last edited by SediaAmore on Sun Oct 31, 2004 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:47 am

The thing is a student has to support himself with money from home/scholarship and cannot work except certain hours. The spouse cannot apply on merit of a student - work permits are given on own merits. The question is to ask what the procedure is from the school, but I'd expect the wife has to 'sit in home'.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

distantspaces

Post by distantspaces » Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:02 pm

This is just my opinion. I am not aware of the facts after the new Alien's act came in to place...

It might be possible for you to bring her to Finland as a dependant (provided you can prove that you have enough money to run a family of two).

However, I don't think she is allowed to work, unless she can arrange herself a worker's permit. Since her residence permit is going to be issued because she is a dependant, her privileges cannot exceed those offered to you. Therefore, since your residence permit would be issued for studies, therefore neither you, (and so) nor she can probably seek full-time employment.

Of course, nothing stops either of you to try to get a full time job, and then apply for a worker's residence permit. However, that application would be judged separately and on it's own merit.

Talk to UVI and ask!