What is an A5 visa???

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
mmjoy15

What is an A5 visa???

Post by mmjoy15 » Fri Aug 06, 2004 9:15 pm

someone said I need an A5 visa upon my arrival to Finland. What is it exactly? I'm from the US, so I can travel there for up to 3 months on a tourist visa. Within those 3 months, i'm getting married to a finnish citizen, so I"m almost positive i DON"T need an A5 visa(it's for working, right?) Would someone please clarify?

What is an A5 visa???

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

BAT

Post by BAT » Fri Aug 06, 2004 9:55 pm

Please contact your local Finnish embassy or consulate or check Finland's Directorate of Immigration website. http://www.uvi.fi/netcomm/default.asp?language=EN It is always best to get your info from the official sources rather than advice that might be incorrect from a discussion forum.

If you have any more specific questions, please feel free to post them here.

SediaAmore

Post by SediaAmore » Sat Aug 07, 2004 1:12 am

girl
Last edited by SediaAmore on Sun Oct 31, 2004 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lethal

Post by lethal » Sat Aug 07, 2004 3:23 am

The A.5 permit information is noted on http://www.mol.fi/tyolupa/eng/guide.html. For reference:

* A.1 The person has Finnish origin referred to in § 18 or § 18a of the Aliens Act.

* A.3 The person has been granted a residence permit due to strong humanitarian grounds (Aliens Act, § 18, paragraph 1, point 4).

* A.4 Other person than the above-mentioned, residing in Finland permanently.

* A.5 A family member of a person belonging to category A, when the granting of a residence permit is solely based on the residence permit of a family member.

So depending on your situation you probably wouldn't need to bother with an A.5 initially, but it may be something to consider if you're interested in long-term residence or work. You can enter the country for up to 3 months as part of the visa waiver program, this isn't unique to Finland, quite a few countries do this. If you are interested in obtaining a visa/permit though, it's worth noting that some countries require that you do the visa application outside of the country, or if you are issued the visa in the country you are required to leave the country and re-enter under the visa. I don't know if Finland is like this or not, but it may be something to think about beforehand. Someone who knows better than I can probably shed some more light on this though.

Either way, your best bet is to read through both the UVI and Ministry of Labour sites to get a better idea of what your options are for work and residence permits and what the best way to proceed would be. UVI is the place to find the necessary forms and so forth. Although interestingly enough when I went through the process of obtaining my B.1 permit at the Finnish consulate here I ended up using a much more simplified form in comparison to what was available on the UVI page. So additionally you may wish to visit your local consulate or embassy and see what is recommended. It took me about a week to get my permit, but I already had the favourable opinion letter from the ministry of labour, etc. an A.5 will likely take longer.

deojuvame

Re: What is an A5 visa???

Post by deojuvame » Sat Aug 07, 2004 9:37 am

mmjoy15 wrote:someone said I need an A5 visa upon my arrival to Finland. What is it exactly?
You must have misheard.

Someone didn't mean an A5 Visa, someone meant that you needed FIVE VISAS (and possibly a Mastercard or two) in order to live in Finland because it's so bloody expensive.